Android - Geofence not working

Reading many of the post on the forums I realize there are far more skilled people here to properly fix your issues, but I can offer you ideas of what helped me. I have an android phone. When I go to 'Geofence' in the upper right corner I see a compass symbol. If I press that, does it center the map on my current location, where I see a red push pin. When I first set the geofence, it centered the map on Africa for me to, but pushing the 'compass' move the map to my current location.

As for setting the geofence on the phone, I've been working through the suggestions on this thread to fix the 'presence' issue. My wife was at work yesterday and it still wasn't working after upgrading to the beta. I had her go to settings, scroll to the bottom and log out and back in. I had her go back to geofence and she reported it said 'inside geofence' :frowning: so I took a look when she got home. I noticed this time that the geofence was around her work, not home and things appeared to be working as it showed her away (outside her work geofence). So how do I fix that? Well thinking that the geofence was changed to her work area when I had her log out and back in, I tried that again at home. Sure enough, it set the fence to home.

Hope that fixes works the same for your issues. Geofencing it kinda important to many of my automation and it's hard to continue to be patience when we don't hear from support. The answer to the problem might be more complicated than recommending everyone become a beta tester, but silence on the matter is not good customer service.

2 Likes

Having the same problem. I've seen the same comments posted in the Google play store from numerous unhappy users.

Shocking that this hasn't gotten fixed yet. This is critical functionality for when I am away out if town, etc.

Seems like the Hubitat platform folks are more interested these days in developing subscription functionality and revenue rather than supporting core functionality. May be time to find another smart home platform if they don't fix this pronto

1 Like

Any further developments on the BETA programme? Have things got any better?

Currently, I'm using the combined presence app with wifi presence to off-set some of the issues I'm having with geo-location on Android. But today my WAF decreased massively when the house lit up like an Xmas tree with alarms going off everywhere because her iPhone 13 location didn't update and then she fell foul of the infamous 'wifi snooze' setting that seems to be undeaftable on iPhones - rendering combined presence also useless.

Still no change here. I turned update location network change on, and that seems to help a little. Now it will update occasionally.

I still cannot join the beta. Google play has been showing joining beta since last friday.

Mine did the same thing,, hung at 'joining'. So I went out and checked for updates (go to your icon, upper right, click on Manage apps and device - click 'Updates available') Even if it doesn't show any updates available, click check for updates. If there are apps to update, you may need to install them and again click 'check for updates'. Hubitat showed needing an update after I checked. I installed it, went right back to Hubitat in the play store and left the beta program. I've been working ever since.

I signed up for BETA, got the update and left BETA.
The update is working perfectly for me.

Geofecning continues to not work regardless of battery optimization. It is, however, working with my Vera system, so the problem is not my phone, Android OS, Google services, cell carrier.

It's not working reliably for me either.. I do usually get the notifications (so much better than before) but not as reliable as it had been maybe a few months ago.

btw - I'm running 1.6.8 (I'm in the beta group but not sure if this is a beta version or not)

1 Like

Same for me. Not working reliably.
I am on 1.6.8 build 128

1 Like

Any news on this? Are things getting better for those in the Beta?

I'm still on 1.6.7 and basically, as previously mentioned, location won't update until I open the app and touch the geofence perimeter slider.

What seems to temporarily fix this is an uninstall/reinstall bit then latterly it just goes back to into the same behaviour.

Are others having more luck now?

It's been broken for TWO MONTHS and still no fix.

3 Likes

I've had success with the beta version on android. iPhone app seems completely random to me.

I'm having a nightmare with my new S22 Ultra, i was hoping the new phone might fix the problem that I was having with my S9, but if anything it's now worse, plus push notifications have completely stopped working, and no amount of uninstall/re-installs are making any difference :frowning:

Yeah, beta version works on Android for me. I have no idea what the app developers are thinking, they pushed out the broken version to everyone after a short beta period during which the problem was reported by testers, and now they have a fixed version which has been sitting in beta limbo for months. It all seems completely backwards to me.

2 Likes

It's as if they've muted this thread, and are unaware of the issues. Very weird.

2 Likes

I've been on the beta since it was suggested and it's working almost perfectly for me (the times it didn't could be related to phone issues).

The silence is disconcerting. I would think geo-fenceing is somewhat important?? others besides me really rely on it? I'm a former Wink user. From what I remember this is the way their demise started- issues coming up and never fixed and post going unanswered. I'm not that active on all the Hubitat treads to see if other things are getting attention, but it has me a little worried. When I was faced with finding a replacement after Wink, the choice came down to Hubitat or Smarthings. The 1 major plus for Smartthings is they are a well established company. I know we see companies (Google), without reason, ditch tech, I felt it was a good chance Smartthings would be around for a while. I really hope I didn't make the wrong decision.

2 Likes

I have found the page where I can sign up to beta versions as I have also had no location/geofence updates recently and it seems I need the beta version to fix this. However despite waiting it still says beta sign up in progress, how long did it take for everybody else?

Finally got approved, weird that it took about 24 hours rather than a minute as it advised! Location/geofence messages are now back to working, bit of a mess up to let this break so badly

Beta is still not very successful. Despite permissions set to work all the time, there's a significant delay between entering the area and actions in Hubitat. Could be phone-related but it worked flawlessly before.

I find geo-fencing important myself but like Smartings, their geo-fencing product doesn't work well. I began using Hubitat since December, prior to Hubitat I was a Smarthings user for approximately 5 or 6 years... And with Smarthings and now with Hubitat I use the free version of Life360 setup with Hubitat and it has been flawless with the exception of 1 day.

And Samsung which owns Smarthings is no longer making Smarthings hub and gave that business to Aoetec. That really doesn't give me the warm fuzzies for Smarthings future.

Let me tell you why I decided to give up on Smarthings... When I started with Smarthings RuleMachine was the preferred choice for creating automations. So I began learning RuleMachine. Then weeks later Smarthings ditched RuleMachine and introduced Webcore. Everthing I was learning was for naught. Ok, I then had to start learning Webcore which wasn't terrible but it was forced on me. Then Samsung decided they wanted to replace their main app and once again, I was forced to learn something new. Ok, no big deal right? Then EchoSpeak was introduced. And I loved that feature. Combined it Webcore and things were good. Then Smartthings dumped EchoSpeak and now I was once again forced to learn a new system. Then it was announced that they would no longer be supporting Webcore and once again I would have to learn a new system to fix all my automations. While I was looking into how to do that, I was then told Smarthings was making yet another change via their cloud and when that was done, I would have to once again learn new things if I wanted my automations to continue working. At that point I gave up. Unless I'm wrong... this will never happen with Hubitat. Webcore, RuleMachine, EchoSpeaks, etc are now all local programs installed directly in my Hubitat hub. Even if all these apps go bust or Hubitat itself goes bust... they are still on my Hubitat hub and will continue running. I was simply tired of Smarthings constantly FORCING me to learn new things to simply keep what I had working. I'm not going to have that issue with Hubitat. Now using Hubitat for several months... the biggest mistake I believe I made with my home automations... not switching to Hubitat years earlier. It is VASTLY better than Smarthings!

1 Like