Android - Geofence not working

Try the steps I listed. I was having issues with it not reporting as well until I uninstalled it and set it up again. Does the map say inside or outside? What does it say in logs? Does it change if you move radius or pin? You can manually test it just by moving the pin to where you are.

@jonathan.lorber did you try what I posted? All of my advanced settings are off with no delay, but I haven't tested those.

1 Like

It's reporting, but just not consistently.

1 Like

I've done that several times. It worked for a few days then stopped.

Maps says outside, log header says outside, but i never see the event of leaving. And it's not telling the hub im out of the geofence.

Sorta. Moved the pin to where I (and my wife) were. When I moved the pin back it updated me as not home but not her.

At this point the geofence is a novelty. I would never have any critical automations dependant on it. If you have to keep going in and moving the pin to tell it you've left, what's the point?

Edit.
It's now working at the moment. Past experience with this tells me it will stop working in a few days.

Unless there is some super secret beta,1. 6.8 build 128 is the current beta. Last update was 1/6/2022.

1.6.8 128 is the current beta.

Sorry I didn't make it clearer in my previous comment that going BACK to the 1.6.3 version was a supposed fix.

That wasn't my point, I was telling you to do that to troubleshoot. You should see it update in the app and on the hub as you move the pin/radius. If it's updating then it isn't the issue I was having before. At that point you should double check location permissions (all the time is required) and battery optimization (unrestricted is required).

If it doesn't update when you move the pin, like if it seems like the app isn't talking to the hub, that's when you should uninstall and reinstall the app.

1.6.8 build 128 has been flawless for me since I've done this troubleshooting. I've been testing several apps and hubitat / smartthings were the most reliable.

2 Likes

I just upgraded to UI 4.1 on a Samsung phone, and it has the option to exclude certain apps from memory optimization, in addition to those locations specified in this thread (battery optimization, where I already had Hubitat included).

I've just added Hubitat to the list of memory optimization, and I'll see if it makes a difference.

FWIW - issue happening again on 1.6.8 for me (S20).. posted here: Presence Greatly Delayed? - #16 by jpage4500

I am also having this issue again as well. My location will clearly be far outaide the geofence but the app says im in the geofence and vice versa. Only way to get presence to change is to change the geofence radius but that only fixes it till the next time i leave/enter the geofence. Sending a geo event eith the button doesnt help. I'm on the beta version of the app, version 1.6.8 build 128. Im on the beta version because one of the many other times ive had this issue, support told me to install the beta...

1 Like

Same issue still. Maddening.

Same for me...checked every settings on the phone and reinstalled the app on the phone but whitout success....

I've been chasing this issue forever. I believe it's really the ability of your device to track your location. I set up a simple automation test that has been running for a few months. I set the geo fence and the app when I'm returning home it text me. Rarely does it trigger the text when I first enter the geo fence. In most cases I've been home for a few minutes before I get the text message. Sometime I never get a text because my device never knew I left fenced area.

Same ongoing issues. Managed to resolve it with the free Life 360 app and free tier

Just a reminder that for our engineers to attempt to replicate issues with the geofence features, it is best if they know the exact device make and model, operating system version, Hubitat mobile app version, and whether phone's battery optimization as well as memory utilization tasks are turned off for the Hubitat app.

Failure to exclude the app from any and all optimization services that may otherwise terminate the background services that the Hubitat Mobile app is running, will result in unreliable geofence experience.

When posting feedback related to geofence, please consider providing the following details to help our engineers to narrow down the issues reported:

EXAMPLE

• Mobile device: Samsung Galaxy S22
  • Android Version: 12
  • Software version: S901U1UEU2AVF7/
    S901010YM2AVF7/ S901U1UEU2AVF7
  • Security patch level: July 1, 2022
  • Mobile app version: 1.6.8. - build 129
    Notes:
    No 3rd party optimization apps
    Battery and CPU/memory optimization services are disabled for Hubitat app.
2 Likes

Nice to see such clear and direct instructions on logging an issue...

Taking that suggestion a step further, could the Hubitat App somehow gather at least some of this information and provide it in a screen for users to copy to the clipboard?

EDIT - I say that, I only now just realise there is a debug screen in the mobile app.... :slight_smile: Could these details be added and available to copy?

1 Like

Life360 wants way TOO much personal information..My 2 cents

That's step 2 in troubleshooting. We wouldn't ask users to provide their location coordinates in public.

1 Like

Good poiont. But some of the other info is not conviently available, from what I can see, or am I missing something?

The issue is that Hubitat does not report as inside geofence when I'm inside. I open app up, and I'm smack bang in the middle of geofence, and it thinks I'm outside. I have to manually change the size of the geofence, and hey presto, it reports me as home. It cant be any of the optimisation issues, since I manually open the app, and it still reports incorrectly. It's been this way for at least 6 months.

Nonetheless.

• Mobile device: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
  • Android Version: 12
  • Software version: SAOMC_SM-G998B_OXM_XSA_12_0017 XSA/XSA,XSA/XSA/XSA
  • Security patch level: Aug 1, 2022
  • Mobile app version: 1.6.8. - build 128

No 3rd party optimization apps: correct
Battery and CPU/memory optimization services are disabled for Hubitat app: correct.

1 Like

It sure can be, the app is looking at location. If the app didn't see the change in phone's location until you forced the location to refresh, then it wouldn't be able to report that you are inside. This is good feedback and something that we can set up to try to replicate to see how else can the app force the location update in order to more accurately report the location change.

For reference, the above example is actually my production phone. I run Life 360, MacroDroid and Hubitat app in parallel to monitor our app's performance, and so far Life 360 and Hubitat have been neck in neck, with Life 360 using a lot more resources, which means that they use more battery and more data to monitor phone's activity. It is something that we are currently exploring.

1 Like