Geofence broke in 1.6.4 through 1.67

ya going back to 1.6.3 resolves the issue. It seems the app can determine the devices location but the fails to retrieve the hubs location which I believe shows as '0' in your screenshot and what I originally posted.

@support, is there any update?

True!
Might be related to the app not showing the geofence circle since the log does indicate the radius but no lat/long info.
Hopefully that will get corrected.
I wonder how many people have the latest version and have tried logging out and back in, if the app works for them.
That might be a clue also as to why the app doesn't get the updated location info.

Did you get an update today?

**edit **
Never mind. That might be beta.

I am on the beta program and i did try the update... still no go though.
I downgraded to 1.6.3 and it works now.

Weird. Mine has been very solid on 118. Since I installed it, I have only had one instance if the presence not updating correctly when I leave.

Have you tried logging out and then back in (on phone (Android?)) and then see if the geofence still works?
That is where I found the error on 1.6.4
Since downgrading, I do not have that problem, so it is something in the app code.

Dunno if this is a change in Android's verbiage since the Hubitat app was written, but currently the app says "Geofence service is not available now. Go to Settings>Locations>Mode and choose High accuracy"

In Android 11 this should be: Settings>Location>Advanced>Google Location Accuracy>Improve Location Accuracy>On

The issue is not with the app/phone determining the GPS location of the phone. The issue is the location of the HUB is reported at LAT: 0 and LONG: 0 so unless you are at 'null island' you wont be 'in the geofence'.

So why does v. 1.6.3 work and 1.6.4 doesn't?
Nothing on my phone has changed and I have checked so many times to make sure location accuracy IS turned on. Nothing has changed.
I will stick with 1.6.3.

Same thing here. Using a Samsung S8 and it stopped at 1.6.4 and 1.6.6. Downgrade to 1.6.3 works fine again.

Hub Version: C7
Hub Firmware: 2.3.0.124
Mobile Device: Samsung S8
Android Version 9
App Version: 1.6.6

I had a power outage a couple weeks ago that forced me to log back into the app on my phone. Ever since then geofencing hasn't worked. I get the same issue of the pin and circle not showing up on the map on the phone app and showing 0 for lat and long on the debug info. I tried pressing the "Send Geo Event" button, clearing the app's cache and data, reinstalling the app, and upgrading the hub firmware. None of that worked. The only way I was able to get it to work again was by installing 1.6.3, setting up the app again, and then updating to 1.6.6.

I have been running V 1.6.8 build 128 (which i believe is a beta at the moment) and it looks to have resolved the issue. I also updated my wife's to the beta which also resolved her issue.

My geofence stopped working about a month ago. Same symptoms: 0,0 lat/long in debug log and no circle. Suspect it broke when I was presented with the 'find hubs on local network' screen while I was away from home, and maybe attempted to log out/in to get back to the dashboards.

I just gave up waiting for a fix and joined the Beta program, upgraded from 1.6.7 to 1.6.8 b128. But, it's still broken, same symptoms. Cleared data/cache, logged in again, enabled/disabled geofence, changed radius. Nothing changes the 0,0 lat/long.

This is so fundamental! Is it ever going to be fixed? Is the only answer to downgrade to 1.6.3? And how would I do that?

2 Likes

If you have an Android phone, you would need to download the APK and sideload it. I got mine from APK Pure. I'm not sure about IPhone.

After I set things back up in 1.6.3, I updated to 1.6.6 and paused automatic updates on it. It's been working fine for me ever since. I'm waiting to see how things go with 1.6.8 before I turn automatic updates back on.

Mine has been giving me trouble since early January. Both on Pixel 6 and Samsung Galaxy Fold.

If I'm outside the geo fence it won't update that I'm outside the geo fence. Even if I click Send Geo Event.

However if I resize the geofence radius it will update correctly that I'm outside the geofence.

GeoFence doesn't work for me in 1.6.8 build 128 - I can move the geofence around and everything looks ok in the app, but nothing changes on hub.

I am having the same experience with 1.6.8 build 128 and the hardware at the hub level is:

• Platform version:2.3.0.124
  • Hardware version:Rev C-4

It's not reacting on Android or iPhone. Mine is a new install so I haven't ruled out user error but I've dug in pretty deep at this point.

@BrenenP ,. If the latitude and longitude are not staying 0.0 you have a different issue and I would recommend a new thread with details

You will have to be explicit on whats not working, screenshots help.
Few starter questions....
Is the pin on the app on your phone in the correct place?
Can you recive messages from your hub (could use built-in notification app to test)?
Have you disabled app optimisation and battery optimisation on your phone?
Have you allowed all the app permissions on your phone?

Exactly the same here - build 1.67 build 126 Android 10 GS9