[Solved] Generic Z-Wave Relay driver turns relay off when pressing on

Just added a Nortek Z-Wave relay. Device paired with Generic Z-Wave Relay driver. Off command works correctly, but on command also turns the device off. I switched to Generic Z-Wave Switch driver and it's working fine this way. Easy thing to check?

I've had this with an Everspring unit. I think the relay driver sets the auto off to 0 seconds instead of never as default sometimes. So every time you turn it on it gets turned off again immediately.

1 Like

Ah ok...I did see something to that effect in the logs I looked at. Will try changing the delayed off and see what happens.

That was it! Thanks. I think the driver still needs a fix to differentiate between "never" and 0 seconds.

1 Like

I wonder if zero seconds is meant to be never in that parameter, but some devices take it as literally 0 seconds. I did what you did and used the switch driver instead.

1 Like

Could be. HE staff will hopefully chime in on that. I did see something along the lines of "turning off in 0 seconds" in the logs when I looked.

I actually wanted the auto-off, just changed it from never to 1 second and it's working how I was intending. Success :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've just set one of my units back to that driver and done a quick test. It isn't actually the relay that does the auto off as I thought, its within HE with a scheduled job. So there must be a fault in the driver that an auto off of "never" actually ends up being auto off immediately.

1 Like

But if you don't want the device to turn off based on time, wouldn't you want to use the generic z-wave switch driver anyway? The whole point of the relay driver is to have it turn off automatically. Like if you wanted to close the contact to activate a garage door. If you wanted to control a light, you'd want to use the switch driver. Or am I missing something?

Probably would use switch yeah. But the point is that a delayed off of 0 seconds makes the driver unusable because you can't ever turn the relay on at all.

Okay...so don't set it for that. I don't mean to make light of your troubles but it doesn't seem like there's really an issue here. The driver's doing what you ask it to. Should the setting even be there, probably not, but if you use the correct setting it works, right?

I'm not. And the troubles are solved. But what's wrong with pointing out something that doesn't work as intended? I highly doubt that the devs intended to add a setting that makes the device unusable.

There is an issue. If you set the auto off to never, it actually switches off immediately. That's a bug.

You can use a switch driver but that has other parameters that are not relevant to a relay type device such as paddle action, led behaviour, flash etc. It's not a big problem agreed but it is still a bug.

1 Like

I'm sure there's a generic list that they pull to populate the possible settings for that. I highly doubt they build the list from scratch every time. Like I said, should it be removed, yeah. But I highly doubt it was put in intentionally either.

That you could make an argument for. But I think that the never setting should just be removed along with the 0 seconds. If you want it to never turn off, use the switch driver.

There isn't a 0 seconds. There is 5,4,3,2,1,never. If you set it to never it actually sets it to 0 which is a bug. End of. Why even get involved just to say I don't see the problem when you haven't even tested it or understood it?

3 Likes

I am not going to be drawn into further discussion about it. Those of us that have tried the driver understand what we mean.

2 Likes

Oh the irony :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a bug, we'll get it fixed.

3 Likes

Resolved in 2.0.2

1 Like