General Question about new drivers

I see that with the latest release (2.2.3 at the time I am writing this), that there is included a new driver for one of my devices (Inovelli Fan/Light Switch LZW-36).

What is the general consensus on what to do when an update includes a new driver? I am inclined to leave well enough alone as the preexisting driver (I think created by Inovelli) is working fine, but I wanted to know under what circumstances anyone would replace a working driver with a new one? Is there any non-futzy way of comparing 2 different drivers for the same device? By futzy, I mean recording all of the capabilities of one, then switching to the other, repeating the process, and then if there is not any capability that leaps out as important to me and only supported by one or the other, then trying all actions to see if there is any performance difference.

Of course, I am less concerned about this particular instance of new (hubitat) vs old (inovelli) driver and more about this situation in general.

Additional later information. (8/17)
If you are looking for differences between native and inovelli driver there was a post covering this in the inovelli forum at:

If you are happy with your existing driver.. then leave it alone..

2 Likes

Bryan is right - as usual.

At the risk of complicating things, one wrinkle I'll mention is that if you change how your device is paired (for instance you want it to be paired with S2 security, so you re-pair it), user drivers have to be updated to support S2 security.

The in-box drivers should all support S2 security already, but user drivers will all have to be updated by their owner/author to support S2 security (only applicable to drivers for devices that support S2, of course).

2 Likes

Is there any simple way to compare 2 driver capabilities? While I definitely understand the value of it ain't broke don't mess with it, but I also am always curious about changes and so sometimes am tempted to tinker.

Perhaps that can assist?

Can create a pair of Virtual devices, assign the two drivers, one to each, then use GetAttributeApp to display all of the Capabilities, Attributes and Commands.

3 Likes

Thanks this did show the capabilities pretty efficiently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.