GE ZWave Failed - Need to Replace with?

I don't buy anything but GE Wave plus... Tried zooz and had various issues, and didn't like the feel of the button. Inovelli are never in stock, so I've never been able to try one.

Over 90% of my 100 switches are GE (because I have gotten great deals on them over the years), but I do have a few Zooz and Inovelli switches because I wanted to try something different. There are a few things to be aware of between these three brands:

• the paddle click is different on all 3. I find the GE most similar to a dumb rocker switch, the Zooz doesn’t require much of a push and sounds more “clicky”, the Inovelli is in between
  • colors don’t match. I have a Zooz installed beside a few GE switches and it is a much brighter white than the GEs
  • Zooz and Inovelli don’t offer aux switches. Yes this can save you money on 3+ way situations, but for dimmers you can only dim from the master while GE aux switches allow dimming from all locations

Inovelli switches are currently unavailable, though I read on ST community that they may have some refurbished available. They are changing manufacturers and expect them in the next month or so.

This is the main reason I keep staying with GE. I have a lot of 3 way dimmers, and I am adamant that both switches need to work the same. Having one switch able to dim, and the other not, is a VERY poor user experience.

3 Likes

I've been replacing my old GE with new GE. I do have one Zooz switch, and agree that the color is slightly different, paddle feel is different, and also the blue LED is bigger and brighter which I'm not crazy about. For these reasons I put it in a closet that's motion activated so we rarely touch the switch, and it's in a single gang box so there's nothing next to it to contrast with. Overall I think it's hard to beat the look and feel of the GEs.

One other note about the Zooz...the dim rate configuration is different. The GE dimmers have a lot more flexibility...you can configure the ramp increment and frequency for both physical and digital commands. The Zooz are not as flexible, IIRC there's only Standard and Fast ramp rates available. Sending a setLevel 99 to my GE switches results in instant on, where the Zooz still has a ramp...it's a fast ramp, but a noticeable difference from the GEs.

Completely agree, but truth be told I have a little OCD with switches all being in the off position when off too so the aux switches have helped me. :joy:

Inovelli has hinted that they are looking into offering aux switches. You may want to PM him in the ST community to confirm if this will be offered with his new set of switches. Maybe @ericm can confirm here, believes he works with Inovelli.

Not to be negative, but I am completely uninterested in Inovelli at this point. I have looked at them at least 5 different times, and the switches I would want were in stock exactly zero times when I looked.

I'm not interested in doing business with a company that can't keep their product in stock. When I need a switch, I need a switch. I can't wait months for stock.

If they ever fix their production/distribution issues I may look at them again.

From their web store - everything out of stock...

Hey JasonJoel,

From a post by the founder on the ST community, they are completely redoing their manufacturing, which includes tooling as well as some redesign, which is why they have been out of stock. I have a spare switch not to get me by until.... if they don't take too long

Rick

Here is the post from ST
Eric_InovelliINOVELLI.COM FOUNDER

Nov '18

Dang you guys beat me to it @TheSmartestHouse - you have some fast typing fingers!

Yeah, @rumrunner424 - TheSmartestHouse summed it up pretty good. Our base switches will work with the new app, it’s only the advanced scene switches that will only work on the Classic App, however, we’ve found that most people still prefer the Classic app bc a lot of other devices/brands still do not work properly in the new app.

We’re in the process of revamping our entire switch line, so we’re pretty much out of stock on all switches at the moment, but we are offering some refurbished ones for around $25-30 depending on the style. Feel free to PM me if interested.

You can’t go wrong with Zooz though, top notch customer service and Agnes is very nice and always willing to help.

Have a great day!

Eric
Founder | Inovelli

PS - Thanks @TonyFleisher for the tag :slight_smile:

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for them. It is a nice looking product with good features, at a good price.

I will say, though, that I saw a post from Eric that they were working on getting items in stock about 9-10 months ago, too... We see how that worked out.

I'll believe it when it happens at this point.

So I called GE/Jasco today to see if there is anything that can be done to get this switch running again. No blue light, no ability to manually or programatically operate the light, there is power measured at the switch... so it's dead.

I have no receipt and can't prove it's within their 2 year warranty.... no worries he says, I'll send you out a new unit free of charge with a pre-paid return label and the old device will be your proof of purchase.

I then asked if I could pay the difference and get the Plus version, not necessary, that's what I was going to send out anyway as we don't make the non Plus models any longer

Now that is service

+1 for GE/Jasco
Rick

6 Likes

Did I read that right - in a four way switch, you only need to wire in one Zooz in the primary position?

If that's the case, is there any advantage to using GE that requires add-on switches?

If you're using dimmers, the zooz method doesn't allow dimming from the slave locations, just on and off. Only the master can dim. The GE add-on switches allow dimming from all master and slave switches.

For just normal on/off switches, the zooz capability seems pretty awesome from what I'm reading.

Zooz.... hmmmm.... I have a situation where the Line of my 3-way is in a box that won't accept a smart switch, the wires come in from the side since the back of the box is up against a stud and it can't be moved.

The Inoveli can be used in the slave location and have the line back fed to it so that would work but no dimmer yet the slave location is where we use the dimmer function, not to mention they are out of stock

Can the Zooz be used in the slave location and back feed the line and if so, can the dimmer be used in the same location?

Thanks, Rick

This may answer your question.

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/150-zen21-ver-20-vs-zen26-whats-the-difference

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/211-4way-diagrams-for-zen26-and-zen27-s2-switches

How old was that GE switch, do you remember?

Hey Pete,

If you are referring to mine that failed? Likely 2 years, maybe a bit longer, not sure however

Rick

Finally following up to my post about color differences in case anyone else comes across and interested. The left and center are GE and right is Zooz. Noticeable difference.

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

LOL. Just kidding - it is just my OCD acting up.

I hear you! I started to install the Zooz switch in my master bathroom and immediately OCD kicked in. This is installed in my son's room, who doesn't seem to care (really doesn't have a choice :grin:)

1 Like

Ahhhh, cool. Yeah I'm just kinda curious what we should be expecting for lifespan. I like the other wall switch version with the center return toggle which looks more I one the switches we grew up with. I had some old X 10 switches, and man, what ever compelled them to design those the way they did is a mystery to me. Everyone who wasn't a full blown automation and other nerdware geek hated them. They didn't look or operate in any way that could be familiar to the uninitiated. I'll leave it at that.... I sorta feel like I'm being THAT guy who still complains about and ridicules an annoying or mean family member constantly... Who died a decade ago....

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.