GE ZW5303 remote

Anybody using a GE ZW5303 remote with Hubitat???

I am not aware of anyone using one of those... but here is the list of button controllers supported natively by Hubitat.

1 Like

Yeah I have seen a lot of bad reviews for the ZW5303 remote. Personally I love it. It was a little complicated to initially set up, but after I set it up it worked beautifully.

hmmm I wonder why there is native support for Hank z-wave controller and not GE??

Because no one except you has one?
Joking aside we go after devices we own, then devices based on community need, then interesting value devices.

3 Likes

Hank products worked with ST they do NOT work with Wink. The GE ZW5303 remote works with Wink, I don't believe it works with ST. I bet that a larger percentage of the Hubitat community migrated over from the SmartThings platform than did from the Wink platform. That may be why very few people...well ok only I have one. lol

1 Like

Might this GE remote be considered an interesting value device?? :slight_smile:

In all seriousness... Is it still in production? It doesn't appear to be widely available online.

Many Hubitat users are enjoying the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge Pro integration, which allows Pico remotes to be used seemlessly. Have you looked into these yet? If you live in North America, they are easily wall-mountable and look great, and are easy to use for members of the house.

4 Likes

I guess it has been discontinued. It is also not a Z-wave plus device. I believe it was actually made by Jasco for GE.

Oh this remote is also known as 45633 GE zwave remote

Depending on how similar it is to the Intermatic HA07 (also an obsolete standalone device that can be a primary or secondary controller), you may be able to do something useful with it. With the HA07 I'm able to assign individual on/off/dim buttons to 12 devices and use its timers; though it can't activate scenes on the Hubitat (not that it was ever intended to) and Hubitat isn't aware of device changes unless they are polled or refreshed. For me its useful as a backup should Hubitat fail for some reason to schedule a few lights at sunset and manually control them. It even includes a built-in astronomic function to track sunrise/sunset times.

I just followed the HA07's 'Replicating the Network Only' instructions with the Hubitat in 'add device' mode. I did it several months ago and seem to remember it got recognized as a device, however it never seemed to show up as 'Alive' in the Z-Wave settings page; it eventually got dropped from the list of devices altogether. However that didn't stop it from acquiring the Z-Wave network settings and it can control the devices just fine.

1 Like

@Tony Very useful to know, thanks! I will try that.

I have thought about buying the HA07. I can get one for $14.

It's certainly worth $14. Back in the days when the SmartThings scheduler couldn't manage to fire things on time I found it reassuring that at least my lights would turn on at sunset thanks to the Intermatic. Haven't had scheduler issues with Hubitat but it's still nice to have redundancy for this vital function.

1 Like

I just got an HA09 remote, and I'm new to Hubitat. I'm not quite following what you did here. Can you explain further?

It's been a couple of years now since I've used that device, but it (the HA07) learned the Z-Wave network devices from HE so I could use its on/off/dim buttons and program timers to control devices that I had included with HE. According to the manual for the HA09 , you can do the same thing by following the 'replicate network only' section p. 19-- ignore the step 1&2 references to the primary controller in the 'replicating network and channels' part, just put the HE in Z-Wave include mode and do what it says for step 3 & 4, using the channel 2 on/off buttons on the HA09 instead of channel 1 as the manual notes.

I'm trying to figure out what it's replicating, how does it know which button goes to which module?
I created a virtual button remote, thinking I could replicate that, but I'm not seeing how to map things over.

Basically learning the network means it's configuring the HA09 to send commands to the first 32 Z-Wave device IDs (assuming this is a limitation shared with the HA07 that I had) that HE has included. You need to consult the manual to map each of the remotes buttons to an individual one of those device IDs. If it is like the ha07, the process consists of putting an individual button of the remote in a learn mode while you activate whatever one of those Z-Wave devices you want the button to control. The remote then remembers the association between that button and the Z-Wave device.

I eventually had to stop using my HA07 because I wound up including devices past the 32 limit that the old Intermatic could access (every time you do a Z-Wave inclusion it bumps up the device ID by one and you cannot reclaim them, even if you have excluded a device, until they eventually roll over past 255, as I recall).

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll have to puzzle this out some more. I may just be out of luck.

1 Like

Was looking through the programming manual some more. I think I understand what's going on. The only issue I see (other than the device id thing), is how to associate the channel to a device. I get the putting the remote into a learn mode, but their instructions say to hold down the programming button on the module while changing the state (on/off/dim), then release everything, it it will be all paired up. I'm assuming they are referring to way other Intermatic modules work. How did you get other z-wave devices to go into a programming mode to pair with the channel?