GE Zigbee 45857 switch won't pair

What's the use case for power monitoring of a hardwired light fixture?

Landscape Lighting.. Transformers attached to low voltage lights. Nice to see whet they are consuming. They were reporting on my Iris so I got used to playing around with it. Also, have one attached to a warehouse exhaust fan. just looking for power draw, not monitoring per se.

agree with @mike.maxwell, if you can not pair in-situ, start looking for a repeater or you should not use the device there. Also note that dimming capabilities will only be accessible through HE device page or automation.

30 minutes ago I was on the dirt side almost uninstalling but came across with the following sequence to make it pair:

1. pull the air-gap switch on the bottom of the switch.
  2. press down button and leave it there until you press back the air-gap
  3. switch may become unresponsive, but repeat the process pulling out the air-gap switch.
  4. the press the up button and while pressing, press back the air-gap switch and immediately release the up button.

If this works for you you should have the blue indicator blinking. Once start blinking my HE detected in less than 7 seconds.

As an additional note, since I'm no a newbee on all home automation stuff and a ex-ST power user, one of the pre-work that everybody should do is sit down and plan your entire house even if you are starting with a smart bulb alone. Decide which communication protocol suits you the best and plan your map coverage and invest in that. This should be one of the best things to do first, not when you are in the middle of 50 different brand/devices with a mix of RF, Zigbee, Z-wave and wifi devices at once. Think big from the beginning.

By now I can report that today I disconnected the last Wifi device (a leviton WIFI dimmer, replaced by the GE 45857), with only broadlinks devices that are out of the cloud, working within the local network. Local control is the best feature of Hubitat!