GE z-wave switch physical reporting problem/question

Brand new HE user here. Less than a week in, so far, I'm quite happy. Coming over from Wink, not ST.

I've got 6 z-wave GE walk switches, two are just switches, two are light dimmers, and two are multispeed fan controllers.

I had some trouble at first getting them all moved over from Wink. I think I had a lot of the same problems as other users, I had trouble getting HE to exclude the devices, and ended up excluding them from the wink hub in order to get them to register.

Everything seems to be working fine from the perspective of controlling the switches from the hub, but as far as the hub reporting the current switch state or logging the physical presses, only the two switches closest to my hub seen to be reporting reliably. I've tried moving the hub around a bit, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is this an HE problem or a zwave problem or a ge problem?

Any input would be appreciated.

What model switches are they? The main question is whether they are standard z-wave or z-wave plus. If standard z-wave you may need to use the z-wave poller app to poll them periodically.

12337, 12339, and 12340

The fan controllers were recognized as ge smart fan controllers, the others were recognized as generic (not smart) switches and dimmers. I tried the zwave poller, but never saw any changes. I just read another post about the smart drivers. I switched the switches and dimmers to use the smart drivers and now I seen to be getting updates, but the dimmers aren't very consistent

Are you sure about those model numbers?

Sorry, those are the device IDs seen in the z-wave device view. I'm not sure how they correspond to actual manufacturer model numbers.

If these are just Zwave and not Plus you will struggle to get the physical events to report given firmware in those devices and an old patent prevented them from reporting. See this long thread for details:

You can use the poller app to get them working.

The poller doesn’t appear to do anything for me. Is the pollen all that’s needed or do you need to configure rules to tell it to poll?

Is there any reliable way to tell from the zwave info page if a device is classic or plus?

On the clusters listing in device details zwave plus devices typically have cluster 0x5e.

OK, In that case, none of these devices are z-wave plus.
Oddly, the "switch" devices seem to be working more reliably and consistently using the "smart" driver.
The "dimmer" devices seem like they work "better" using the non-smart driver, but still not completely consistently.
Either way, they seem to be intermittently sending physical press data back, and using the poller app or not seems to have no impact (the poller app doesn't ever log that it has done anything)

You have to enable logs in the poller app first.

Did you add devices and tell it to start? To see logging, make sure you have the slider selected before you click the Start polling button.

Logs will look like this:

1 Like

ok, enabling logging before starting polling does give me logged events, and switching back to the non-smart drivers for my switches, and dimmers, and adding them to the poller appears to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Ive just set this up, and enabled logs and it is just not doing anything. I can't figure out how to get it to work

image and no data available in table under Events tab

Maybe you will get more responses to a new thread - explain more about your setup, devices, etc?

I just set it up separately through rule machine. Never did get that app to do anything.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.