GE Smart Control vs Zooz Wall Dimmer

Right on, I will be in tough later after I get the zen26 installed, (probably a month or so out) Thanks again!

Sure no problem. Feel free to share our contact with your electrician in case he has any questions about the wiring process (electronic switches can be a bit confusing to electricians). We'll be happy to help!

Funny part is I got your part of the electrical process down for what is needed on the switch, its my house wiring is old and most switches only have 2 wires (with no neutral), therefore with this being a 3 way I need the electricians expertise on identifying what wires are what as they didn't use any color coordination in the original 3 way wiring.

Yikes, that sounds like fun. Good luck and if you need any clarification on the diagrams (or additional options), just let us know.

1 Like

That's great -- I will probably be wanting to get some of these in the near future. I just ordered a ZEN22 since it is listed as supported and I don't need the easy 3way ability in the location where I will be using it.

Well, I have two of these on the way. I can live with this reporting issue until Hubitat implements OTA firmware updates. Thanks for all the feedback on these -- sounds like Zooz is serious about their customer support!

1 Like

I received my two ZEN26 and a ZEN22 last week. I chose the 22 over the 27 due to the reporting issue and the fact that I was not doing a 3-way install. One of the 26s was a 3 way and the other a single switch. All three went in very easily and work perfectly. They appear to be very solidly built, and I especially liked the way they connect to the wiring: no wrapping the wire around a screw, but a good solid connection AND space to connect 2 wires at each post. I'm looking forward to getting more of their products in the future. I could use some 3-way dimmers, so I'll either get some 27s after they are updated or once Hubitat does OTA firmware updates.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience @brian5!

The ZEN27 VER. 2.0 doesn't send multiple reports when dimming by default since it already comes with new firmware and it's been available for the past few days already:

We feel like we at least owe you a discount code for the issue with the initial firmware, so feel free to use HUBITATZEN27 to get 10% off on the dimmers through 5/20/19.

You don't find that users are accidentally triggering add/remove w/triple tap?

I know on my GE devices that support double tap, I triple tap a lot when I'm in a hurry. User error, not mechanical error, but I would still be concerned about my device entering pair/removal mode accidentally...

We haven't seen any reports of switches being removed or added accidentally so it doesn't seem to be an issue. But we'll keep monitoring.

1 Like

Good to hear! No need to make a problem if the data shows there isn't one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know Hubitat doesn't support over the air firmware updates for zooz devices,......are you aware if Smartthings or Vera does support this? As I have all 3 and was going to purchase a zwave stick to do the firmware updates but thought I'd see if this was possible with equipment I already have?

Agnes,

Is there a Linux version of the controller software to do the OTA updates?

Thanks,

Scott

Unfortunately, the PC Controller is only available for Windows. Another software we know of, which is the HomeSeer Z-Flash, is also available for Windows only. We'll keep researching and will let you know if we find anything for Linux, sorry for the inconvenience!

Not that we know of. SmartThings definitely doesn't support it (they do for ZigBee though) and they weren't able to tell us if and when they will add this for Z-Wave. Vera doesn't support it yet but we haven't talked to them about it so not sure if how close they are to releasing this feature.

Thanks Agnes, I can probably find a Windows PC if I must. Can I get the OTA updates please, I just picked up 5 Zen 27s and a Powerstrip a couple of weeks ago, and I'd like to get the 2.0 Firmware on them.

I can send you an e-mail direct if that makes sense, you just helped me with some strange wiring the other day, so I'm sure I have the right e-mail!

On a separate note, is there any way to tell what version they have currently?

Scott

If you just bought the dimmers a few days ago, there's a good chance they're VER. 2.0 already - you'll be able to see that on the packaging, manual, and on the back of the switch. If you don't see VER. 2.0 next to the model number, just send us an email with your order number and we'll provide you with the OTA file.

@mike.maxwell was this the only barrier before it’s added to the compatibility list?

Yes, driver is in progress.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.