GE Motion Sensor

Hello, I'm new to HE from ST. I have installed the majority of my devices. I'm having trouble with my motion sensors. With ST, I was able to install this DH ([RELEASE] GE Z-Wave Plus Portable Motion Sensor (34193) - Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community) so that I could change the parameters of my sensors. Right now, it takes 15 minutes for my sensor to change from active to inactive. I would also like to remove the flashing light. I couldn't seem to find anything like this in Hubitat Forums .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Use Mike Maxwell’s Z-Wave Tool. Add this driver, switch your device to this tool, save device, configure, set the parameters as you want, switch back to your original driver, save device, configure.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/super-basic-z-wave-parameter-tool/3477

Here are instructions on how to add a custom driver:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Install_Custom_Drivers

And welcome!

1 Like

I converted the DTH you linked to work in Hubitat. Let me know if you have any issues.

GE Motion Sensor Driver

3 Likes

wow! you are AMAZING!!!! Thank you!! This is EXACTLY what i needed!!!! Thank you so much!

i did try this method last night .. but it didn't work for me. Thankfully, this nice guy down here @lewis.heidrick converted my previously used DTH from ST so that I could use it with HE!

1 Like

Yes, @lewis.heidrick is amazing but a bit OCD. :yum:

2 Likes

There is so much chaos in my life I have to be OCD just to keep everything together.

3 Likes

Cleaned up the tile entry. Otherwise its the same as the previous one I did.

https://pastebin.com/raw/a8TzQQBW

1 Like

Nice, I'll update.
I'll admit I am still new to the coding of this stuff. But is there a way to get a quicker reaction than 5 seconds?

The response is less than a second. 5 seconds is the reset time. Z-wave events are usually around 400 ms depending on device and hops.

2 Likes

Interesting. It seems to have a delay and its only about 5 ft from the hub. I have some other motion sensors that do seem instant. So this one just seems a little slower.

This was a ST conversion. I don't have a device to test with but I can try to make an adjustment. Let me know if it helps you...

1 Like

Not able to see any other parameters that would change it and there's no filtering on the trigger event.

def sensorValueEvent(value) {
if (value) {
createEvent(name: "motion", value: "active", descriptionText: "$device.displayName detected motion")
} else {
createEvent(name: "motion", value: "inactive", descriptionText: "$device.displayName motion has stopped")
}
}

Moition Timeout Duration This is the amount of time after motion stops that the device will report out that the motion has stopped. This is a numeric entry between 1 and 60. Each number represents the number of minutes to delay after seeing motion to revert back to no motion. The default is 4 minutes. Entering 255 sets the duration to only 5 seconds

1 Like

I appreciate the thoughts. I was reading through it too. Im familiar with some coding language but just was curious if I was missing something. Thanks for the look through! It may just be the sensor is slightly slower shrug.

Could also be mesh issues on your zwave network. Could also be the battery device delay issue @bcopeland is working on for the Ecolink sensors in .158. Not sure what he found with that yet. Z-Wave motion sensors typically have around 400 ms delay while my zigbe motion sensors have around 90 ms delay.

Seen some people get their zwave times down to around 350ms but that's pretty rare I think.

1 Like

Well the reason I went with these is they have the hard wire option so they shouldn't have that battery delay affect them. Interesting on the zigbee delay, I just looked and the sensors I was trying to replace are Zigbee so maybe that's the real difference. Might have to hunt down a wired Zigbee sensor next.

Best zigbee motion sensors I've come across are the smartthings ones. They are fantastic and the batteries last a long time. Easy to battery mod them to wired usb also if ya wanted to. My next favorite are the Nyce motion sensors with humidity for the bathrooms. They come with tripple a batteries and last a couple years on them. The Nyce motion sensors are expensive though.

1 Like

Might just have to break out the soldering iron :joy:

1 Like

I always have one within arms reach...

1 Like

Has anyone actually gotten the Motion Timeout Duration to change? No matter the setting it always defaults to 4 minutes.