GE Enbrighten..are these really as good as it gets?

The dimmers do not typically require neutrals, but the switches do. I recently installed a switch for some non-dimmable basement lights and had to pull a neutral into the box. Fortunately, I had another box right behind this one and only had to pull a few inches of wire.

There may be more than one switch model. The model I purchased did require a neutral. The current instructions indicate that a neutral is required.

Yeah my bad - I was looking at the wrong model number. The PD-5WS-DV does not require a neutral and looks to me that it provides similar functionality. In any case mystery solved.

I purchased my neutral-required switch at Home Depot.

The PD-5WS-DV device that does not require a neutral is significantly more expensive, but it would be an option for those installations where a neutral is not available and cannot easily be provided.

1 Like

Do you recall the date code on these failures? I’ve been using GE switches since I got into this addiction in 2015. I bought Plus switches to replace the older non plus when I moved over to HE and they were 17XX meaning manufactured in 2017. All my failures have been from that year which may be why Jasco extended their warranty recently. They have been very responsive to replace them with newer slimmer models.

I have a few that are 15XX, but the majority are 17XX. Did they require a receipt for replacement?

No.

Thanks, I’ll give them a call.

They did my one replacement quickly and very courteously. I was impressed.

They did ask me to share my receipt from Amazon for the switch I replaced.

They will ask if you have receipt and if so you don’t have to mail broken switches back in. But you do if you don’t have the receipt though they provide a shipping label so no cost other than longer replacement time.

2 Likes

Ah, I had the receipt so we never had to have a discussion about what happened if I didn't. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I contacted Jasco Support and they were very courteous and agreed to replace all of my switches with a date code of 17XX without a receipt. I just have to return the switches first. They also said the switches with 15XX date code would be replaced if I could provide a receipt for these switches that was dated within the last 5 years.

7 Likes

Wow that sounds great. Good for them!

Where is this number printed? Can it be obtained via the hub software or do I have to go look at the physical switch--is it visible with just removing the plate or does the switch need to removed?

For me, it's visible with the plate off:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 9.51.22 AM

1 Like

Yep, it’s the label in the lower right corner.

1 Like

Glad you had a similar experience. They were courteous and very helpful for me as well.

1 Like