GE Dimmers Turning On Without Trigger

GE Zwave Dimmers are turning on by themselves. Nothing in the device logs.

No additional info to provide.

Do you still have your ST hub and HE hub linked to the same Z-Wave network? Seems like it could lead to some gremlins...

I have 4 ZWave Controllers on the same network. I don't think that, by itself, is a problem.

I've had multiple ZWave Controllers on my network for years. Adding Hubitat increased mine to 5 Controllers, allowing me to remove two... but then I added in a 2nd Aeon Z-Stick to help me understand shifting Primary to the Hubitat Hub along with SUC and SIC. That same ZStick then assisted me in doing OTA updates to Aeon devices without having to remove (exclude) and then add them back (include) followed by a repair of the Automatons broken by the removal.

I guess my point is that the ā€˜otherā€™ z-wave controller could be changing the lights. There would be no trace of evidence in the Hubitat hub logs, correct?

I had that happen on mine when I was adding my second zigbee light to the network. It triggered my first one that was installed. I removed it and added it back in and same thing happened.

they have been fine however since that one instance

Yes. Still linked and still obvious gremlins that want to be fed.

I have a ā€œDeviceā€ under HE Zwinfo that conflicts with a fan in ST. Iā€™m seeing alot of ghosting, and sporadically losing control of specific devices. This fan has a 2.147b Device ID & Type and sets itself to a 255 setLevel, so itā€™s hitting some value limits.

This is possible, but the device is not included in ST, so no clear way to track it. (Not that THAT has prevented ST from reaching out and touching stuff.)

1 Like

Ahhā€¦ clarity. :slight_smile: Yes, it could be any of the other Controllers telling a device to switch. @JDRoberts advises that Secondaries are common and a properly built ZWave Network would have all Controllers know about all statuses. Emphasis on properly built.

Reminderā€¦ the Nortek and Aeon Z-Sticks both have onboard memory and Includes and Excludes happen on them. In other words, the device might still be paired as far as the ZStick is concerned, even if it doensā€™t show in the GUI/Mobile. The Database of Node assignments is copied from Primary ZStick to Secondary ZStick OR, as in my case, when I forced the copy.

Secondaries are common, yes. I never said a properly built zwave network would have all controllers know about all statuses. I said it's possible to have a network where all controllers know about all statuses, but it's not required under the Z wave standard, so somebody would've had to add the code to do that. So it's up to each manufacturer.

I did say under the standard any primary controller can also act as a secondary controller, but again, that's part of the standard. It's just that smartthings doesn't do it very well and doesn't include the optional advanced features that make it easier.

Wow, I read this last night and dismissed it as something I had not experienced. Then sure enough, I experienced 2 lights turn on automagically last night / this morning.

at 5:28 am our master closet lights turned on to 78% (which had to either be the previous value or a random value). I manually turned them off at 5:45 am. these show up in the device events.

at 4:02 am the bathroom lights turned on. off at 4:02am.
then at 5:33am on until i turned them off manually at 5:45am.

both are ge z-wave dimmers.

the closet lights are controlled by motion usually. both can be controlled by alexa.

both devices seemed to work as expected after they were manually turned off.

both devices would have last been used deliberately around 10:30pm and the last action would have been the wife telling alexa goodnight which would have triggered a rule to turn off all lights but my office and the garage.

It would be nice to get some acknowledgment from staff that this is an issue, or just some wonky configuration error on our parts.

This is the type of thing that will go largely unnoticed until your wife happens to walk down the hall and freaks out because light suddenly turns on and she thinks someone is lurking in the office.

I have not had any random lighting incidents with any of my Z-Wave or Zigbee devices. So, at least it is not affecting everyone.

Maybe not related but any of these lights being used in HSM as light alerts? I know it was flaky for me a couple of times before.

Not happening for me either; 7 GE Z-Wave in-wall and plugin modules. Not using HSM.

Not using HSM.

Itā€™s good to know that itā€™s not happening to everyone, but I know, with me at least, it goes unnoticed unless it happens when youā€™re looking.

I also have several GE dimmers, both in wall and modules, even an outdoor one. I have not seen the symptoms described here. Not using HSM.

However, I do have a light with a ā€œghostā€ - it turns on all by itself. Itā€™s driven by an Aeon Microswitch, completely unrelated to the Jasco/GE dimmers of this thread.

I would verify if there are any mode changes that happen at the same time as the light turning on/off. I had the HSM issue that was fixed with the last update but you never know if the bug is laying dormant in some other app.

In my case my Den Lights would turn off on their own. I initially thought it was random, but after the 3rd time I investigated and realized that it would happen when my mode changed from Day to Evening. Testing confirmed that any mode change triggered my light to go off. I would also do the same every time I opened the HSM app.

This was fixed for me with the 705 update and the light in question was a Caseta dimmer but againā€¦you never know.

I am not running HSM.

Mode changes happened correctly at +2 hrs (appr 9:15pm) after sunset then again at sunrise (appr. 7am).

Did the event log for the devices show anything that triggered the turn on of the light?

Potential causes for random light turning on:

-Power loss or spike
-Interference or loss of mesh connectivity
-Another Z-wave secondary controller
-Rogue Rule or custom code that triggers it unexpectedly

In order to diagnose these causes, it is critical to note the time, device(s) and contact support so they can grab diagnostic data off of your hub and see if they can find anything to suggest a cause.

Without support requests, and additional troubleshooting its impossible for us to acknowledge an issue even exists let alone the cause. Engaging support is the best avenue to help try to get to the bottom of seemingly random events firing.

If it is isolated to a specific Z-Wave device and happens rather frequent, just exclude the device for a few days and see if it randomly turns on/off by itself, not connected to a hub / z-wave mesh. That would rule out the mesh and any hub connection.

If anyone has any devices that seem to be more frequent in the random turn on / off. Please reach out to support so they can help track down what might be the cause.

1 Like

So, as a potential solution for my situation, I nuked ST, since today I started seeing the same behavior there. My master bathroom lights, (with no association in HE) were turning on and off by themselves repeatedly for hours this morning. No motion. No rogue rules.

The reason for the nuke was because there was no way to gracefully transfer primary controller status to it from HE and ST doesnā€™t play nice with other controllers unless itā€™s primary. (According to ST staff and ā€œunsupportedā€ ST documentation, ST can join another controllerā€™s network if that controller can transfer the primary controller role to ST with a transfer/shift/copy/replicate.)

My situation is a bit different from others in that I had ST and HE on the same network, and this was causing some sort of device crosstalk and single nodes being associated with multiple physical devices.

1 Like