GE 26931 Motion switch in bathroom

I’ve started with a 1 minute timeout on the switch and may increase that based on feedback from the wife.. but one thing is thinking about is an override so that if she’s standing in front of the mirror for a half hour, it doesn’t keep going off on her. Is there a way to override if press switch on?

There is if you use the full device handler instead of the built in one...

I ported over the ST one. With that you can programmatically change to manual mode, or triple tap the ON button to manually over ride until next time it is turned off.

I haven't quite finished testing all of it, though. For instance I haven't actually tested the triple tap override...

I'll post it in a bit though, and you can feel free to test that part.

Side note: my wife would divorce me if I tried to set the bathroom timers at 1 minute. Just put it at 15 or 30... The tiny bit of electricity is not worth annoying someone with "neato" automation.

Sounds good, I would definitely try the device handler.

Just playing around, I set the switch to Manual mode and disabled auto off. I put in a Motion Lighting Apps rule and it seems to be not working 100%. Works great after I add the rule, but once I move into the room again, the light doesn’t switch on. Logs report a motion event but nothing after that. Will try in RM

Never mind, I see someone else already ported and posted it. Try theirs. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Never mind... It doesn't look like theirs has the triple tap override logic... Not sure what version they ported since it isn't in the description... @jrfarrar.

You can find the full ported (but not 100% tested - only the major functions have been tested) version here:

I couldn't get Motion Lighting app to work right with these motion switches/dimmers. Not sure if it is device specific, or what - haven't bothered troubleshooting further. It would always trigger ONCE, and then never again. For motion switches (mainly dimmers in my case) I want to do different things in different modes, I just leave them in MANUAL and do it with RM.

Although, now that the full driver is available, I could leave them in OCCUPANCY mode and just toggle manual/occupancy, or adjust timeout, etc - without resorting to full manual all the time.

Thanks, I’ll check into the code and see if it works for my application. Curious, is there a way to leverage Physical switch On in RM to disable to Motion inactive switch off? Can’t quite figure it out

Not that I can think of... Just ON/OFF state changes - as RM is state change based in general, not event based.

Side note, I just tried the triple tap logic on one of my motion switches, and it didn't do what I expected. I'll look at it closer after breakfast.

Cheers.

OK. Get the latest version off my GitHub. There were a bunch of problems with the original ported version.

Triple tap override works. Note that you have to configure the triple tap behavior in the device preferences, then you can press ON 3 times in 10 seconds to over ride. Because zwave reports slowly, you need to do the presses slowly -like Press - 1 mississippi - Press - 1 missisippi - Press. Also note that sometimes it actually only needs 2 presses, as the motion detection counts as a press too. So if motion triggers then within 10s you wan to over ride, it would only take 2 presses... Motion is 1, press 1 is "2", press 2 is "3".

I also made the motion state changes a "state Change" event. That may (should?) make that motion sensor usable in Motion Lighting now - but I didn't test that.

1 Like

The one I did was also by Michael Struck (Original Author: Matt Lebaugh (@mlebaugh)).

never did anything with the triple tap...glad to see more work on it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.