Garage Door - SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor v5

hey all! I've searched for this topic but it seems like I couldn't find a direct answer and the other posts are over a year old.

Recently got MyQ on sale during black friday and wanting to add my smartthings multipurpose sensor to use as the extra garage sensor. After pairing, I set it in "garage mode", took off magnet. Disabled threeaxis settings and did tests, but nowhere can I find any details even in the log where it'll say "Garage Sensor Open" or "Garage Sensor Closed." Only "active" from the acceleration, but then that will change to inactive when it stops so kinda ruins the point of it staying "open".

Am I missing something or doing something wrong with my settings for this sensor as a simple tilt sensor in hubitat? Thanks!

I'm not familiar with this sensor, however reading your post I would suggest you re-enable the three axis settings. It it likely the 3Axis sensor is used for orientation.

I'm using a Smartthings Multi Sensor V4 for monitoring the open/close status of my Chamberlain Garage Door. For this device, I have the "yes (xyz events on)" activated and I'm using the "SmartSense Multi Sensor V4" device driver. I then have a dashboard tile set for "Door Status" which indicates if the garage door is open or closed.

i have the V5 and it works just fine. Have it set for garage door, Tree Axis disabled. Did you click Save Preferences and then Configure?

2 Likes

I have the same setup as @danfox52 and it works great with the MyQ app. I have the sensor mounted at the top of the upper panel of the garage door. Sets "closed" when door is vertical, otherwise "open"

Three axis should be disabled or the sensor sends a large amount of data to the hub. Acceleration works with three axis disabled on the V5 as does the open/closed.
@JohnRob @cohoman

1 Like

Same as @danfox52 with same settings, works perfectly, when the door is moving, it will say acceleration active, then when it stops, the sensor will determine if it is open or close and send the info accordingly (since it's in Garage Door mode).

@danfox52 @arnb @nclark

Yup, I have hit save preferences and configure. Re-paired it a couple times now and finally have it hooked up to the MyQ as a sensor now at least. Mounted it to top panel of my garage and it only just shows it as open, even when it's closed. I have opened and closed it couple times now too and it doesn't change the status of it open or closed.

As you can see in screenshot below, shows it as open (i don't have the magnet attached to it), but my garage door is currently closed.

Is there a solid zigbee signal in the garage?

My garage is concrete and block. I had to place (TradFri) zigbee repeaters on opposite sides of the wall to get a signal.

A simple way to test this
Set the Garage Door setting OFF
Use the magnet to test open/closed

yup! I have a zigbee repeater in the garage, 2 tradfri control outlets automating my garage lights and a zigbee repeater in the family room that is close. In Smartthings, the sensor would tell me open/close right away so definitely have the good signal.

But I did do your test and it was an instant "close" as soon as I put the magnet up to it.

Yeah, this one is confusing me, and I bet it's some simple setting I'm missing somewhere

and now as I set it back to Garage Door mode, it turned to "closed"... but then I went and opened the garage door and the status never changed to Open.

Hmm. With the senor removed from the door and in Garage ON mode. Does it change open / close status when holding it vertical then horizontal?

It does not, I was trying that at my desk before I double sided taped it to the garage.

Perhaps it's a bad sensor.

Please try removing the sensor from garage mode and then turn on the 3 axis sensor, Then either move the sensor slowly or open/close the garage door to see if it is reporting changes on those axis?

I had some weirdness with a V4 sensor a while back, and the V5 was recalcitrant prior to working.

Check out this thread and your logs when doing the "Save Preferences" to be 100% sure the sensor is in the correct mode.

You don't have it mounted upside down so you? The flat side goes on the left.

@nclark I did do that earlier when I had the sensor at my desk and was moving it, and it did report XYZ. I'll try again in a little bit after I get some work done (instead of staring at Hubitat screen!) that it's attached to garage door.

@arnb I'll take a look at the logs and flip some switches back and forth and see in a little bit

@danfox52 nope, on correctly :slight_smile:

Odd, I have the magnet sensing side of the sensor pointing down (Yes not quite level. OEM mounting tape has very strong adhesive, and I could not easily move it, but it works). I also put the magnet on the door next to the sensor so I would not lose it.

So "Garage Option: " doesn't even show up on my log.

Untitled-1

Swapped to three axis, opened the garage door, and the values changed.

1 Like