Garage Door opener

if all you want to do is see whether or not the door is open or closed, just put a tilt sensor on the door -- no need for a Zen16 (or similar relay).

1 Like

This would run in parallel with it. MyQ would work and controlling the relay through Hubitat will work. I like to ask Google to "Open/close the garage door", which goes through the Hubitat. I also have it automatically open when I arrive and close when I leave, but not everyone is crazy about that. I don't use the MyQ app anymore, but I could since I don't have a remote in my car.

I currently have a liftmaster smart2.0+ myq opener. My last house had the same model, and I had installed a myq smart opener (many years before I knew about hubitat).

Fast forward to today, and I was looking at my options. My old system was slow; and sometimes completely ignored my commands. Plus, it appeared to be around $90 for the myq system.

I opted to get a Zooz Zen17 relay (around $30), and a universal garage door remote control opener (around $30). I opened the casing of the remote; used the voltmeter (on ohms) to find the two contacts on the side of the switch; and wired directly to those. The other ends are connected to the relay.

Using this method, I can simulate a button press on the remote. Combined with a tilt sensor, I can automate rules like:

At 10:00om every night:
If garage door is open (tilt sensor)
Click relay (pushes remote button to close door)

Certainly more complicated rules can be achieved; but this shows an example.

Really all you had to do is wire the zen 17 inline with a security 2.0 dry contact sensor instead of worrying about the remote. That way everything else would stay in parallel :slight_smile: (I use a zen-16 myself) I use an ecolink tilt sensor.

Note that you can get the Craftsman version of the 828LM MyQ Internet Gateway on eBay for around $20. Same unit just relabeled.

It's sold under the Craftsman AssureLink brand name, model 41A7665 or part 1B7543-1.

Works with all myQ (and AssureLink) non-wifi openers and accessories. Works with the MyQ app and cloud fine.

I still prefer myQ for control just for the safety features on remote close.

1 Like

I wanted Amazon Key delivery. The $30 MyQ device works perfectly with my 15 yr old Chamberlain openers. A second MyQ sensor for the second door. MyQ Lite Hubitat app provides control if I want it. I use a couple tilt sensors for local lighting automations and notifications. I do not want to automate my doors. Our preference is to use the remotes in the cars with a notification advising that a door is open if we are both away. Easy to close it with the MyQ app or the Hubitat dashboard from the phones. Our internet service is rock solid and I've not encountered a MyQ hiccup in the two years it has been set up.

1 Like

My only complaint with the MyQ Hub (the $30 add-on for any brand GDO) is that it interfaces as if it's a RF remote, not actually being able to only do discrete opens or closes. And it's not hard wired to the gdo so it could be subject to interference at the time a request is made.

That being said it's a great option if your gdo isn't myQ equipped!

If you are using the Zooz, you do not need a Zwave tilt sensor, there is a simpler more economical way.

Use a passive reed switch and interface it with a Zen input. The switch itself is magnetic, cost 5$ and will never need new batteries.

I used a long distance reed (that allow a distance of a few inches) that is normally installed on alarm systems. The magnet is on the door, and the reed switch is on the side of it, they face each other when the door is fully closed. If you configure one of the Zooz's input as a door contact sensor it works fine.

I have used Zooz relays for several years and recently moved setup from ST over to HE hub to localize. I never had ST issues even though some cloud use for relays, hence why i've waited so long to switch the garages over; but since moving to Hubitat in last week, the ST contact/axis sensor isn't polling or updates are intermittent. I never had this issue, but can't seem to fix it or force it to poll even if I move the sensor inside the house close to the hub and hit refresh or update config logging etc, and hit save. Has anyone noticed sensor issues such as (recently replaced batt and it is supposedly in 70% range)? Is there a way to force polling with the ZooZ door opener app being triggered, or ping directly on some freqency to update its status? Events showed temp updates hourly or when it worked through ZooZ app, then it is off for several hours with no activity. thank you.

Is there a way to force polling with the ZooZ door opener app being triggered, or ping directly on some freqency to update its status?

You want to try and force update the ST sensor with the Zooz? How would that work? If the sensor won't respond properly even when close to the hub, using the door opener relay as a trigger to poll won't help anything.

If you are using the Zen device to infer door status, that won't work either because the relay is just that, a set of contacts that momentarily touch to activate the door. The Zooz relay doesn't do any more than just trigger the door just like your car remote garage opener does.

As to what is going on with your sensor, maybe tell us exactly which model it is (there are a couple versions of them) and which exact driver the sensor chose to use.

It might also help to screenshot the tilt sensor's settings page, in particular the "Preferences" section.

thanks., As to pinging from the zooz app, I would assume that wake up signal could be sent from hub if a specific battery device was needed for a program to run or an information update (this is me just assuming how things work and are optimized, not speaking out expertise).
As far as hub pairing, it picks it up as a version 5, but not sure when I bought this particular sensor. Manuf. is Samjin and MODEL is IM6001MPP01. Below is supposed to be the settings in hub for sensor on the door. I noticed that the debug logging keeps resetting to off (which may be temporary on purpose or because there is logging set for the ZooZ garage program?)

I just noticed the polling has greatly increased, but it is all active/inactive notices since I've been looking at it, but it still gets the 'open/closed' status wrong even when moved close to the hub.

That isn't how it works.

That is automatic, it does so after 20 or 30 minutes.

I don't remember which version of this sensor was made by them. A quick google search doesn't bring up much info for that model number. I didn't think it was a V5, but maybe I am wrong about that. You could try one of the other drivers instead of the V5 driver it automatically selected. If you do switch drivers be sure to hit the "Configure" button every time you change drivers.

At a minimum, I would take the sensor somewhat close to the hub, hit "Configure", wait a minute for the sensor to send its information, and see if that helps. I might even toggle the "use with garage door" option, save preferences, then switch that toggle back on.

The other possibility is that your simply don't have enough Zigbee devices that repeat so the signal to this sensor is weak. How many Zigbee outlets or Zigbee switches (or other line-powered repeaters) do you have, and are there any in proximity to this multi-sensor?

1 Like

thank you. I will play around with drivers and configure button and see if it improves. I thought first it was distance coupled with HE radio since ST pairing never dropped, but when the intermittent issue arises I have issues with it updating even if moved close by for several hours.

As far as meshing, most of my wired devices are zwave, but I do have a few zigbee outlets or bulbs at or near midpoint which can contribute as repeaters... about 30 feet and 2-3 wood frame walls in between. If it doesn't become more reliable, I may just try other sensors like ecolink or find a zwave type. I like running this on HE. I also have a 'cat button' rule that opens the door just a few inches to let wife's cat in/out. This never worked reliably with the ST cloudified set up.

I picked up a zooz zen17 and tilt sensor to use as a replacement for my Garagio so I can connect to my HE.
The garagio connects directly to the opener terminal. Is there a reason I can't dp that with the zen17? It suggests connecting it to the switch instead but isn't it doing the same thing?

Also, is the tilt sensor the best way to go or should I consider the wired contact switches?
Recommendations?

Thanks
Tony

My Zen17 is connected direct to GDO - just hooked it into the same terminals the wall switch is wired into - works great.

I wired in 2 dumb reed sensors (one full open / one full closed) instead of using a tilt sensor. My garage here in MN is detached, so due to wide seasonal temp extremes, I don't use any battery stuff out there.

1 Like

Is there an advantage to using two sensors? I guess you can tell the difference between fully closed and not fully closed?

I asked the zooz support about wiring and they are insistent on wiring it to the wall switch. I don't quite understand why unless they think I'll accidentally connect to the wrong terminals.
It's a much cleaner setup to connect the relay directly.

Thanks
Tony

Lots of us here have wired direct to opener - I don't know why Zooz would be particularly insistent on going thru the wall switch. It's certainly not necessary for basic operation.

Indeed, my primary motivation for 2 reed sensors was to have positive confirmation of each position. We just have 1 garage door, so the second sensor slot was open to use anyway, so why not.

1 Like

It's time to remind everyone that there are UL requirements for Unattended Operation.

• Before the door can close, a visual alert in the garage must flash for at least 5 seconds. There are requirements for the visibility, flash rate, etc.

• Before the door can close, an audible alert in the garage must sound for at least 5 seconds. There are requirements for the sound level and frequency.

If you have an accident and someone gets hit by the door, your insurance is going to be looking for a way to deny.

3 Likes

Your point is valid, and those are certainly best practices, but the UL standard and related CFR apply only to openers manufactured for sale in the US. Yes, alerts provide increased safety. Yes, insurance companies almost always try to limit their liability. But no, I am not required to follow UL 325 when modifying my garage door opener at my residence. In the end, users should be aware of these risks and make the decision for themselves. Of course, if there are local rules or laws requiring homeowners to conform to the standards, that is a different matter.

Again, knowing the risks and being aware of the "right" and "wrong" way to do this is necessary for someone to make an informed decision. Thank you for bringing that information into this discussion.

3 Likes