Garage door opener

Very easy setup. I've had mine running for about 3 years now. No issues.

I haven't done the local. Haven't needed it. But I know it exists. If that whole non-cloud thing is important to you. My wife still uses the Garadget app sometimes. It's built on particle so anything you can integrate there you can do with the garadget.

This is what I would have suggested. We also use one of these to control our fireplace.

I'm looking at GoControl, Garadget, and Tailwind. I'd like to hear more about how you all are using your setups. Mostly just notifications of open/closed? Voice control like Google Home? Are you using any presence detection to open/close doors?

I've got an inquiry into Tailwind. They only advertise support for Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT right now besides their own app. But I like that one controller handles 3 doors, is reasonably priced, and I really like their implementation of presence detection to open/close door automatically. But it would be nice if it would better integrate into my HE/BI system too. I've sent an email to them but I'd bet they'll say either "working on it but no promises" or "no plans" on supporting hubs.

I just saw Tailwind has their system on sale right now for $50 (single door) and 2-door for $70. At that price I may just have to pull the trigger. Not much to lose.

In HE I can use both the contact sensor and the control to open or closed. Obviously based on that any rules you may want.

I have rules that if any of the garage doors are open for more than 30 minutes, they close. I also have a virtual switch "Garage Door Pause" that if enabled keeps those rules from running. So if we are going to be in the driveway cleaning cars/yardwork/etc. I have 3 garage doors and have one on all 3. I also check to make sure the doors are closed when arming/night. I do NOT automatically open/close based on presence...but that's probably my odd setup. We have multiple cars and drive them on different days. Seems silly to open all 3 just because I don't know which door to open. And...it's really a simple button to push to open/close it. With my 30 min rules they always close themselves anyways.

I/we do use the garadget app also. Been times where we have let people into the house (dropping off stuff) just by using the app to open the door when we were out of town. Sometimes we take a car that doesn't have a remote and just use the app. Also integrates with Google Assistant so it's just as easy to ask it to open/close one of the doors.

For security reasons, I would not use motion or presence sensors to open or unlock any exterior door. I might use these to Lock or Close a door. Rationale: There are still too many 'failures' in this for a security disable reason. I would want 100% assurance from a single method or use two independent methods that must both be in the proper state.

Amazon and Google are great methods to control these devices. I have Echo Auto and I just tell the device to open / close the door - using an access code for opening the door. On closing, I will have an automation to turn off house items, set-back thermostat, etc. On open, reverse and if after dark, turn on exterior and interior lighting.

I just installed a tailwind system on my Chamberlain B980 MyQ opener. So far I'm VERY impressed, very easy to install, really complete kit, nice app interface, and good integration options with Google Assistant, Alexa, and IFTTT. I've heard there are some additional integrations in the works.

The ONLY negative I might mention is that you have to make an adapter for openers that use Security 2.0 (most recent model Chamberlain/Liftmaster models). It's not super difficult, but it's an extra step that should be mentioned.

The new pricing makes it a bargain IMHO.

1 Like

I had the Linear (but it won't work at my new house with the smart buttons so I got rid of it). It worked fine. Maybe it is just me, but under no circumstances would I ever do ANYTHING app or cloud based. I absolutely do NOT trust any company to have control over my doors or locks. I disabled cloud access to the dashboards on my Hubitat (and should probably firewall them off from the internet completely, with occasional checks just for firmware updates). If I want to control things remotely, I can connect my phone to my home network via VPN to my router and access the dashboards that way, which works fine. So things like Tailwind, Garadget, myQ -- just not gonna happen at my house.

I think people are perhaps misunderstanding how the Tailwind setup works. It doesn't use the cloud. It uses a combination of your phone's navigational GPS (for better accuracy) and either your car's built-in Bluetooth or a separate device. So it will only activate your door(s) if you have both. It can also be set to only open certain doors for certain cars. My understanding is that if you are using voice assistants, it also requires a pin code. The also come right out and say you shouldn't rely on the auto close features, but rather use it as a backup in case you forget.

I don't see this as any less secure than using my door opener remotes. More secure really. Also potentially more secure than the other options. If someone steals you car (and you didn't leave your phone in it) they can't just drive up and ave the doors open. Same goes if someone steals your phone.

1 Like

Their website says "Open, close, check the door status, and receive alerts anywhere in the world using your smart device and the free Tailwind iOS or Android app" That sounds like cloud to me. If I can open and close the door remotely via their app, then they have a connection to my garage door. I'm just not comfortable with that.

1 Like

More good news about Tailwind then just the new lower price is I see they also released support for SmartThings today. So hopefully Hubitat support should be pretty easy to add now as well.

Over the past couple of years I have had two Go-Linear fail on me in the exact same way in that it stopped communicating with the hub. They both lasted approximately one year before the failure occurred.

I really like the functionality of the product and have no complaints except it wasn’t a robust and reliable product for me. When my garage door opener finally bit the dust last month I ended up going with one that had MyQ built-in with a motion sensor to turn on the light and auto-close the door.

I do not experience any significant delays on MyQ status as you described.

I just had my 1994-ish Chamberlain chaindrive rebuilt (bad capstan gear). I have the usual master control switch, a couple of remotes, and the usual doorbell-style pushbutton like @april.brandt posted upstream. I'm going to add @aaiyar's Peanut-based momentary contact in parallel with the pushbutton. The relay just arrived today.

1 Like

This works great. WAF is high as this allows door operation even if the remotes are blocked or forgotten. The only 'modification' was to connect another pair of wires to the existing pushbutton. About 90 minutes, start to finish.

2 Likes

Revive an old discussion????

Everyone still liking the Linear / Go Control options? OR are we leaning more toward the the DIY style?

I was originally looking at a Chamberlain Smart Opener, but if there are better more reliable options I would like to go that way.... Thoughts????

My parents have a MYQ and it sometimes takes up to 30 minutes to notify him that the garage door is open. I went with @aaiyar momentary switch and relay solution. I have a 97 garage door opener with a chain drive. Chamberlain, and it is rock solid. It was super easy to automate, but I used an iris plug instead of a peanut. I like that the button is still usable as I haven't really set up any rules to automate it other than pushing the dashboard button or asking alexa to open it. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it automated as I want to make sure that my garage door isn't opening at 2am or something from a false read. This solution was much cheaper than purchasing a linear. The relay cost me 12$. I had the plug. In respect it was about 10$ and contact sensors are abundant at my house. So probably 30$ for all the parts if I had to purchase them for this project.

1 Like

@april.brandt - Relays would be new to me, you or @aaiyar have a tutorial for this?

This is the one that @aaiyar advised me to buy. It worked very well for my application and you can turn it off if you need to. I like it. It's "safe" for me because I know nothing about relays either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Originally recommended by @jon1

@Dauntless4rcher - check this thread out for several examples of momentary switches being used to control a GDO:

1 Like

If you are going the relay route, take a look at the Zooz Zen16. Same concept, but more compact, built in zwave plus small clean form factor and a good price. I had the relay setup at first and switched over to this to clean it all up when it came out.

2 Likes