Garage Door Automation (Best Practices)

Looking for input from someone who has a good RM method of automating garage door opening/closing based on presence of vehicle.

I have a ST Arrival Sensor V4 that I've put in armrest storage of my car.

I've created RM rules that open the door when the sensor arrives and close it after it departs.

Works fine, however...

1. Sensor has a min time-out of 2 mins (from what I can tell) which causes the door automation to be very delayed both opening and closing.

2. If I reboot hubitar or by some chance it were to reboot it's self the sensor reports departed and then arrived during the restart which causes the RM rules for opening to trigger. Not a big deal if I initiated the reboot, but potential security issue if hubitat or the sensor glitched and did this when I'm not present.

Any input on a quicker more failsafe approach to this automation?

Thanks!

Just curious, are you using MyQ, or some other opener?

Linear GDZ-004

I have mine setup as such:

1 Presence sensor (phone)
1 Go-Control Contact Sensor for Car (pressure pad)
1 Go-Control Contact Sensor for Bike (pressure pad)
1 GDZ-004
1 Motion Sensor

When either contact sensor is open, and presence TRIGGERS arrived, and time is day(ish) and Presence is NOT present, and HSM is disarmed (someone else home) then open door.

When either contact sensor is open, and motion is stopped, and door is open, wait 1 minute and close unless virtual “Working Outside” switch is on.

So if I’m coming home and nobody else is home, I have to (GASP) use my keyfob for the garage door. Minor increase in security, but not too off putting.

With the motion sensor in there, the door won’t close immediately if I’m putting things in the car, or tweaking my bike before leaving.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input, I like what you are doing here. The contact sensors are an interesting approach.

I've come up with a work-around for this "issue". I'm using a boolean to restrict the automation "open garage door" rule to only run if the rule to "close garage door" was run. That way if I reboot hub and my ST Arrival Sensor cycles "present/not present" it doesn't open the door. Of course the caveat is that if we close the door manually it won't auto-open the next time we arrive.

I know this is an older discussion I’m posting in, but has anyone tried to use the Lutron Geofence to open a garage door? I don’t want to use the Life360 thing, my SmartThings fob is too slow to activate my “system” which is just a Zwave relay wired to a remote control on top of my opener. That may sound weird but it’s actually simple and awesome. I assume that when a Hubitat App arrives presence using the phone will be dealt with, but in the meantime, what about Lutron? My thinking is this. Setup a Lutron Scene to turn on anything, and using RM activate my garage relay UNLESS my ST fob is present.

I don't know if the Lutron geofence will even work with Hubitat unless you setup a RM rule to open the garage door when a certain Light is turned on??? Use the Lutron Geofence to Turn on a Light when you're home and off when you're away?

Issue with all phone apps is battery drain and speed. If you want fast updates that drains the battery.

1 Like

That was my thinking. Lutron senses arrival-light in house activatated-RM sees no presence fob or motion in house-RM rule trips garage door relay-fob arrives-RM rule happy and deactivated until fob leaves. I’ll play with it when my Lutron hub arrives. My phone is always on USB Carplay or USB audio on my motorcycle so drain is not an issue for me. Even before I used USB, never had a problem with Waze or ST Presence killing my battery.

I'm planning to get a tradewind garage door controller, it uses a combination of geofence and Bluetooth and also supports ifttt. So integration with HE should be straightforward. I also like the fact that they offer module that makes it work with the latest Chamberlain and Lift Master openers.

This one? https://gotailwind.com

yep

1 Like

I’m checking it out. Thanks!

Hello.. I do have MyQ and wifi enabled garage door opener and it is b980 chamberlain, any way I can automation any sort I can explore.

Beat me to it!

1 Like

I’ve gotten a lot of my Lutron stuff working now, so I tested my Geofence open garage idea. It works! Now, I’m going to have to see it work reliably at least a dozen times before trusting it, but it did work. I have my Lutron Geofence return turn on a dimmer to 1%, that tells a RMR to open the garage, then turn that dimmer off. Now for it to be practical, I need a “dummy device” because I don’t want the garage to open every time I turn my fireplace light on, even though that sounds fun like a 60’s TV sitcom episode. Also, I have 2 Samsung Presence devices, 1-v2 and 1-v4 and the Lutron trigger all setup as OR for presence and the RM sends me a PushO message with %device% so I know which device wins the race. Crazy....I know.....

how did the Tradewind gd controller work out for you?

Love it, it doesn't directly integrate with HE yet but it does have ifttt integration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.