Garadget Support

I am. So far so good. I have 3 garadgets and got 1 working. The other 2 not yet. However....the sun was shining and the smart home has taken a backseat to the beach and boat. :slight_smile:

That issue got me too a while ago. Thankfully MQTT Explorer helped me figure it out. In MQTT Explorer I deleted the whole garadget tree and then physically opened the door and closed it. That helped me figure out which was the right one.

Glad you got it working!!

Can you shed some light on what this means:

It really shouldn't be at the 'error' level - I'll lower that.

All it means is that there are no 'queued' messages coming in from MQTT so the MQTT app is idle. When you first connect with MQTT and if using discovery I subscribe to a lot of wildcarded topics that can return hundreds of messages so these get queued.

It's actually a good message even if it's showing red !

1 Like

Thanks! All I've got at this point is the 3 garadgets connected...so very little traffic!

I was lucky enough to have container station on my QNAP so I could run a docker image of mosquitto.

I have a raspi setup running a few servers but know nothing of Mqtt. Will it make garadget run local.. Cause then that's worth it.
Any docs to get started

This video is pretty straight forward.

At 4:00 on in the video it starts to talk about port forwarding and home assistant. You don’t need to port forward or need to watch about home assistant, unless you have a home assistant setup and want to add this to it.

Once your MQTT is set up you will put the garadget in listening mode and configure the garadget from your phone and enter your mqtt info of your raspberry pi. Then save/reboot your garadget.

Download this application for your computer to log into your MQTT instance on your raspberry pi. It is super helpful to visually see all the messages going back and forth.

Once you verify that your garadget is posting to your mqtt broker on your pi, you can configure the Mqtt app in hubitat and follow the directions above.

I will try and edit this post later with the direct links to posts/comments.

1 Like

Tagging this over here because it's useful.

Agree with everything in post above! I was lucky enough to have a container station to run a docker image of mosquito on my NAS. MQTT Explorer is a MUST in my opinion for this.

@kevin So been playing with this a lot! Thank you!

I do have a hopefully small request. The garadget doors also have a "stopped" state for the door. So if the pressure sensor or object sensor trips while the door is going down the door will go into a stopped state. It's a WONDERFUL thing to be able to trigger off of. Any chance that could get added. I'm assuming to here:

MQTT payload values for [unknown,open,closing,closed,opening] for the door attribute
[unknown,open,closing,closed,opening]

Here is what the event log looks like:

current states:

I tried to add "stopped" for the doors status as below:

But that did not make it show up under "door" or "custom attribute" in a rule.

'Stopped' is not an attribute value that the HE supplied Virtual Garage Door Controller implements. Let me see what options there are though.

1 Like

as with all crazies...of course I started writing a garadget specific mqtt driver....no idea how far I'll get with this but I do realize the garadget is a different kind of "non standard" beast.

It's not actually - and you can support it outside of the virtual garage door controller - it's just that 'controller' includes some smarts with a timer we don't need. I guess that's why it's named 'controller' ...

Include it as a switch device with a virtual MQTT display device for state and then reaction is as per click status change and status will include 'stopped'. Just it will be two devices on the dashboard. You could combine with Tile Master or similar.

I think I'm following. You mean because usually a virtual garage door setup is a mixture of items of which the timer is necessary? And since the garadget is a controller of itself it's not needed?

Yes.. two controllers conflicting timers.. we don't need both hence reducing HE one to min of 5secs

Instead..

Include it as a switch device with a virtual MQTT Text device for status cf 'door' attribute and then reaction will be instant on click for command change and 'text' status will include 'stopped' or whatever Garadget sends. Just it will then be two devices on the dashboard. You could combine with Tile Master or similar.

I can get rid of the 5 sec close delay in the future.

Do you often squash the dog / cat / other ?

Actually you could add this status separately to another MQTT text device or variable as well as the virtual Garage door.. to trigger off it . MQTT app supports different devices using same payload.

1 Like

Understood now! The 5 sec delay is of no consequence to me at all.

I have 3 doors and have rules that shut those doors after 30 min of being open. I have a virtual kill switch that can be set to stop that behavior...apparently I'm the only one in the family that uses it. The others...see the door auto-shutting and run over and kick a foot or similar in front of the beam to stop the door from closing.,..or premeditated...put something in front of the sensor. So...it happens. I also think it would be useful for those times a kid leaves a toy close enough to the bottom that as you are driving away the door goes back up....so "if mode=away AND door = stopped" send alert.

Just some of my use cases...along with the fact it has a light sensor... and other parameters I'd like to expose. You sir have helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my very quick dive into MQTT. I'm learning tons.

1 Like

.. and you sir have introduced me to Dark and Stormy..

Is that IR beam part of a Garadget install or optional ?.. I don't have an electric garage door, or come to think about it even a garage.

I have seen the light sensor in the json status payload it sends. Again you could include that aspect into an illuminance sensor already should you wish. Any payload on MQTT even within json can go into any HE virtual device attribute using the MQTT app.

Nope, that's part of the garage door opener itself. Garadget is just smart enough to figure out when it's stopped on it's way down.

Yes...I see now the power of the APP...I can not even imagine how long it took you....

It’s life changing! :slight_smile: It definitely added loads of functionality to Hubitat.

I keep thinking of new things to use it for all the time. Tonight I set up a variable to store which door or window is open and then push that value to my MQTT broker. I have a Magic Mirror https://magicmirror.builders/ in my kitchen that has a MQTT client on it. Now I can see if a door/window is open and also view my Garadget Status, among other things.

This is the lower left section of the screen.

2 Likes

All this prompted this:

2 Likes