Further Xiaomi Pros and Cons

By chance do you know if an Xbee also does a decent job with the Xiaomi?

Sorry, don’t want to dig through those threads right now.

The temp and humidity sensors are attractive based solely on price. I could use a few more for my basement. I will be adding an Xbee soon, but may also add that new IKEA USB plug.

1 Like

I've bought mine from the company that uses the slow boat for delivery.

These are each Xiaomi and the key was using nothing but Tradfris for repeaters. The minute I paired and placed one of the Iris 3210-Ls close to these devices that was when they began to drop off.
2019-02-27%2010_37_56-2019-02-27%2010_37_24-Further%20Xiaomi%20Pros%20and%20Cons%20-%20Get%20Started%20_%20Devices%20-%20Hubit

1 Like

I've bought all my sensors from banggood, gearbest, or alibaba.... Typically receive them in 10 days or so.

Have averaged $12/ea including shipping - I try to look for sales/discounts when possible. Hard to beat.

2 Likes

Xbee is the best repeater for the Xiaomi and many other Zigbee devices. Trådfri is a good option to Xbee at a lower cost when you just need the repeater and are not interested in viewing a network map.

1 Like

Off-topic, but is there an XBee that actually has a housing around it? My cats love to chew on PCB - I don't know why. They are bengals, so are insane by nature I guess. A raw XBee wouldn't last a week in my house.

1 Like

DIY is all I have seen so far. Maybe I saw an official case, but can't recall where. Someone with a 3D printer is a good option too.

1 Like

This Xstick has worked for me. The only thing I've not been able to figure out is how to make it behave as an end device so that other devices don't jump off to it when trying to map the mesh. From what I've read it does not repeat quite as strong as the xbees.

Also not sure if the Xstick would work doing the USB hub written about in another thread where you want it to repeat without having it plugged into a computer.

Let me go ahead and pile on here. The while the invalid length messages have a work around, the broken leave and rejoin process is a non starter for me. You have to be very careful about what routers you join these devices to for the very reason that they do not conform to this requirement.

3 Likes

I also think that is the biggest issue with the devices. Although not a non-starter for me as I was able to be careful with what routing devices I have installed.

Obviously that isn't a solution for everyone, and not something an average user should even have to think about/consider...

The full range of Zigbee 3.0 compliant Xiaomi devices should be out in the next 6 months. I guess we'll see where we are at then.

And the reason these particular devices will not make it to the officially supported devices list.

5 Likes

I'd suggest @chuck.schwer this is just how things work. You have to be careful what type of gas you run in an older car. You have to pay attention to your furnace filter is you have bad allergies and the same is true for what you eat if you have food allergies.

Of course nobody is going to make you pay attention to these details but if you are not careful how you create your platform you will wind up with the very closed environment you see Wink and Iris have\had.

Perfectly understandable position to take, in my opinion.

Yeah, but to use your analogies; when you find a brand/type of gas that causes problems or a type of filter that doesn't work for your needs you simply avoid them rather coming up with all sorts of workarounds to make them work.

Personally, I'm in favor of Hubitat's position on this.

Ha, i was just about to write up a whole thing about E85 vs unleaded.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, very good info.

This is what concerns me as I have already been trying to have both a Zwave and Zigbee repeater in or near each room and garage. I have a few of the Iris plugs.

I will be getting an Xbee very soon, so between this an my other repeaters I should have a strong mesh.

As nice as those Xiaomi devices are, they may not be worth it if I have to replace all my repeating/routing devices.

I found this on the ST forum, need to look into it more, it’s not on the compatibility list.

Which is exactly what @mpoole32 is saying. If you decide to go the Xiaomi device path, you know it limits your devices you can use so you have to avoid non-Xiaomi compatible routing devices.

Just like when I bought all my cars with turbos, requiring premium unleaded, I know I can't just put in any gas (not technically true, but you get the idea)...

You are arguing the position that you should avoid the car that requires premium, he is arguing you can go that route knowing full well you have to buy special gas. :smile:

No right or wrong on this. Caveat emptor.

My comment was really based on this portion of the post:

Apologies to @mpoole32 if misinterpreted but to me this sounds like he didn't agree with @chuck.schwer's comment about the devices not being officially supported.

1 Like

Depends how many you have to replace, and how many sensors you ultimately want to install. At a savings of $20+ per sensor, it doesn't take many sensors to justify new repeaters/routers.

I have 10 xiaomi temp/humidity sensors (basically one in each room). It would have cost me an extra $300-450 to do that with Aeotec Multisensors, for instance. The 4 Ikea Tradfri outlets I bought for repeaters for $50 including shipping was a no brainer.

And I have a bunch more on order, making the savings even larger... Just waiting for the China Express to get here. lol

Nah, no worries at all. We're just having a healthy discussion, not an argument.

In the end it doesn't matter to me if they are officially supported or not, as long as Hubitat is willing to keep working with us (as far as reasonably possible) and doesn't intentionally break them. And they have certainly done that so far. :+1:

2 Likes