Further Xiaomi Pros and Cons

Middle of last year I had about 5 devices when I moved to HE. My order of z-wave ZigBee and nest products towards end of last year came in at about £950 :open_mouth:. I had been planning it for a long time though :joy:. It was hard to press the order button!

But although I looked at Xiaomi, the rush for me was too much.

I spent about double that on replacement devices when I was troubleshooting Zigbee issues back in December & January. :unamused: The upshot was that once everything was fixed, I had a bunch of spare devices which I've used on a variety of pet HA projects. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

LMAO I would hardly call aliexpress or gearbest the Dark Web! but yes lead times suck for sure.

1 Like

@srwhite Out of curiosity, what how many Xiaomi devices do you have?
I know you have a lot of Iris plugs.

@jasonbalsor I wasn’t saying they were, I was being sarcastic to a degree.

You are in the minority in a lot of ways--and I mean that as a compliment! :smiley: As are many people in this community, I am thankful to you for working with the Hubitat guys to troubleshoot the ZigBee issues, and at your own expense no less.

1 Like

There are some LAN to LAN API-Server-in-the-middle solutions already:

A lot of people seem to be dead-set against using server-in-the-middle solutions, though, so it would be very interesting to see if it's possible to implement in a native Hubitat app.

None at the moment. I've offered to add them to my test plans, if someone wants to donate. But I'm rather full up on devices right now... :slight_smile: In fact there were so many devices left over from testing, I put a contact sensor on my armoire to turn on the lamp when I'm looking for socks in the morning. No joke.

Aww.. Thanks! I appreciate that!

2 Likes

Well you did say it! Anyway it was just funny thats all, im guessing most of us that buy xiaomi get then from the chinese seller sites like Aliexpress, I've had good luck so far with the items and sellers ive dealt with.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::+1: Great idea

1 Like

Thanks, I'll take a look. The communication and response structure seems very simple, it would be a shame to have to use a man-in-middle, but if we need to, we need to.

The Mi Connector route looks dead simple to me...

Put me in this group. I've got a pile of hubs, Sengled, Blink, Hue are best known. Multiple hubs are the ultimate of geek solutions. It took more than a year for me to pull my Blink cameras after their new owner, Amazon, cut off access to Smartthings. As Amazon was busy buying Blink they were also buying Ring.

Amazon realizes how multiple hubs is not a mainstream solution for the long term. Their recent purchase or Eero is more evidence of where they are headed.

IMHO the best way to beat a giant like Amazon is to offer more functionality and at the same time keep it simple. Additional hubs is moving in the opposite direction of this.

I've just had a cunning idea.
Why don't we connect these devices directly to the hub and cut out the middle man. :wink: :smile:

Just a thought..............................:joy:

1 Like

Because they aren't fully zigbee compliant and some zigbee routers don't support them....

Oh no, endless loop!!! :smile:

2 Likes

I never had the need for the ikea plugs had bought one just for testing

Ahhh, so what repeats/routes for your Xiaomi devices?

Concur, but they have a long way to go before they can really have a HA hub, the Echo Plus and Nee Echo Show don’t come close to a real HA hub.

I am surprised by this statement, as you mentioned you have legal training.

I can only speak to english, but “shall” connotes something definite or mandatory, different than “should,” which is more of a recommendation as you said.

For example:

It’s a pretty definitive statement, not a suggestion.

No repeaters. The max I do is ensure that I have at least another Xiaomi sensor at every two meters. Also the max distance from the router to any single device is roughly 10 meters. They work even were wifi does not had coverage and I had to buy a mesh router for it.
It defies all logic. But hey why should I complaint if it works :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, I may look at picking up a motion sensor and temp/humidity sensor just to play with. Keep them close to the hub itself.

I saw a few threads on other forums saying that one or two devices didn’t cause issues, but more devices plus routing/repeating did.

At the price of these, it’s not like I am losing much, and I can’t speak to experience until I try them.

1 Like

There are a few threads on the forum as to what works/doesn't work based on community findings for repeating the Xiaomi devices. The ikea plugs seam to be the favorite now as they work very well.

You shouldn't have to worry about doing this. The xiaomi sensors (battery ones at least) don't repeat the signal. Putting them every 2 meters shouldn't make any sort of difference. It will tell you though where the cutoff distance is if everything beyond a point stop working.

Having devices trying to repeat through bad repeaters is a problem. Having too many devices with no repeaters will also be a problem as the hub will only allow so many (I think its around 32) directly connected. This isn't specific to xiaomi though.

I never said i don't know what shall means I said that in some languages there is a multitude of meanings. Neither was way to bring that up.