Fun/novel uses for extra motion sensors?

I'm not sure if the sticky part of the tape would mess up the "lens", but I always use a folded piece for the sections that are touching it, just in case.

1 Like

On my sensors, there was no good way to use shrink tube. I used a conduit bushing for 1/2" conduit, and hot glued it around the lens. Works great and blends in as it is white. A chunk of PVC pipe would work too.

4 Likes

I like this idea for the Iris sensor, but I would want some white heat shrink, that black sticks out too much. Been meaning to modify my Iris sensor by the stairs so it turns on when you hit a certain step.

1 Like

I carefully wrapped one in white hockey tape..it covers the kitchen table perfectly.

1 Like

Are you analyzing how long it takes to eat dinner?

1 Like

The kitchen table is open to the living area and has its own lighting. This was a simple solution to control that light on its own.

1 Like

Too many motion sensors? Glue one to the cat and track how long it sleeps.

Cats LOVE tape!

Funny: Top 3 in the questions section on that product includes:

does it work with iris products
Answer:
No idea, I use Hubitat
By Mike maxwell on January 25, 2019

Hmmmm.... was that @mike.maxwell doing some low key marketing???? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, :wink:

3 Likes

I like it! I was trying to remember the term "Guerilla Marketing" when I wrote that, but my memory is crap. LOL "low key" sounds friendlier.

S.

I think I love you.

I'll take the love but the OG cred goes the @mike.maxwell. I saw someone else's post a knock off of it a while back. Since I just made one, and the topic came up, figured it was my turn to keep it in the community eye.

Hey, this is a home automation forum, keep it clean!

:open_mouth: :grin:

I tried and tried and tried to get a narrower FOV on one of those with tape one time. It just refused not to be amazing. Overacheivers, those little guys--and I got mine as a bag of 15 for like $5! I have wanted to make a sort of "trip wire" sensor for a nighttime dashboard light, so my wife doesn't trigger it just by going to the bathroom, or when we roll over in bed. I think this would do just the trick!

1 Like

We needed something that would trigger when we walk IN the kitchen but not out the back door. This beam works great! It should certainly work for you too. :kiss:

1 Like

Thought I was the only one! I have 3 motion sensors in the master. First to catch someone walking into the bathroom. Second to turn on the exhaust fan when someone sits on the toilet (hidden in corner of above toilet cabinet) and third when someone walks in the shower.

4 Likes

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this one. One of the first things I did was create an automation for my lights to "follow-me" wherever I was in the house. Basically I hate the idea of lights being left on when I'm not in the room, so not only do I have lights that turn on when I'm in the room, but it also triggers other lights to logically turn off other rooms. LOL - of course this really only works if you're the only one living in the house like I am. :slight_smile: Still, always makes me feel like house is catering to me, as opposed to the other way around.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this would be a guaranteed way to make your partner insane.

2 Likes

I read all of these cool posts about creative ways to use motion sensors but can’t get past the esthetics of this must look like. I’m always looking to increase the perception of how “smart” my home is but if it doesn’t look good it’s not going to work.

If you have pics on how you hid or disguised your sensors post them up!