Frequency of Writing Local Files

I think this is probably more of a best practice question. I was planning on writing a large HTML table to a local file that could be linked to in a dashboard to view the table remotely. I know that constantly writing to the local flash can't be good for longevity, so I wanted to see if there were any recommendations.

I was thinking that I would just schedule updating the file periodically instead of having the file get updated every time the table does. I'm just not sure what the bottom end of that schedule should be.

Tagging a few folks to see if there's a consensus:

@bravenel @bertabcd1234 @thebearmay

You’ll be writing to the same storage media as the database which is constantly being written to, so I’m guessing that unless you’re generating several thousand read/writes per minute you’re probably not going to negatively impact the life expectancy.

2 Likes

Fair point. Although, I'm sure the amount of data also comes into play. The file for my table is about 17 kb. I realize that's not much but I'm sure the normal device operations are in the tune of bytes.

It's also very possible I'm overthinking this but I'd hate to be the reason for early hub deaths.

This comes up on the Asus router forums sometimes as well, writing to the NVRAM or JFFS. General consensus is to not worry much about it, its made to handle it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.