Freezer temp sensor

I use an ST motion sensor in a Ziplock. I added a AA battery pack to the LI cell terminals; that hangs outside the freezer hinge so the batteries are always warm.

As stated above, I've put many sensors on freezer doors.
The 3M dual sided tape will work if the freezer location has been cleaned throughly to avoid any moisture.
Minoston for zwave, and Visonic MCT-370 for zigbee are the only contact/temp sensors that I know of that don't "freeze up".

I don’t think the motion sensor needs to be in a plastic bag, but it probably doesn’t hurt anything, either.

I mounted mine on the side wall using Velcro command strips.

I tried these: https://a.co/d/37f1nzi

One in a freezer and one in a fridge. I was able to get the proper separation on magnet to where the door can be left open less than 1/4" and I get an alarm after a couple minutes. The temp sensor seems to swing +/- 10 deg F. Not sure if its a combination of the sensor or the actual fridge/freezer.

You could try a humidity sensor. A humidity sensor will detect moisture and respond to it. Since refrigerators are used to keep food cold and fresh, moisture should be kept away from refrigerators ( True® Commercial Refrigerators, Fridges & Coolers | Ancaster ). Humidity can be due to water leakage, condensation, and temperature. A good humidity sensor will be able to detect all three.

So, I purchased the Minostan MSE30Z and got it installed. However, it has been maybe two weeks and I just replaced the battery. I will try letting this next one go a bit longer to see but it went from 100% to somewhere around 50% in a couple of weeks. This just seems insane to me. I guess what has me worried is that it is the 0 degree temp killing the battery. Any thoughts on this? I just cant seem to find something that can withstand the 0 degree temp.

Try the ecowitt sensors I linked to above. They take two AA batteries and link to Hubitat locally. I've had one in a freezer since 5/15/2022, and the batteries are still reading 1.6V each.

2 Likes

I will relook at this. Thank you.

Have you tried the Visonic MCT-370?
It uses a CR2 Battery, and its Zigbee.
If you get it, put tape on the back, so that the inside doesn't get cold air.

Battery levels in a freezer will always show low. I have had batteries show 20% or less that will run for 6 months. I don't replace the battery until it stops reporting temp.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.