Freezer "BURN"

ebay all shapes sizes thicknesses and quantities. :slight_smile:

What about when you are at work, or away on vacation, etc? :slightly_smiling_face:

I work from home. So does my wife.
Vacation isn’t something anyone is going to have for some time.

I get your point of course. I got it when @jeubanks made it 17 posts ago, that’s why I “liked” his post. :wink: But I’ve never worried about such things. If I’m on vacation and the fridge stops working, I don’t need to ruin my vacation with a problem like that. I’ll deal with it when I get back.

1 Like

My last fridge evaporator became partially frozen - defrost heater was working but small leak at the input of the evaporator caused a freeze. Basically a slow death that I would have caught sooner had I been monitoring temperature. I can’t tell the difference if food is frozen at -10C or -18C.

I cant see any downside to monitoring the temp inside fhe freezer. I have the platform and the extra sensors.
I only lost the stuff in the door this time and was kicking myself for not having a contact sensor on the door to detect that it was left open. I imagine id be kicking myself if the freezer died and i didnt detect it,.....so for the little time it takes...why not. I doubt i’ll look at the temp frequently so i’ll just monitor for a few days then set a rule for something greater but still below freezing to set an alarm. Lights and outlet rules are convenient. potentially saving whats in my freezer...thats the real power of automation.
Cheers.

2 Likes

OK. I have to agree. I need to get a sensor that works in the fridge.

1 Like

Not trying to convince anyone......just letting people how i'd feel if i had further problems.

Cheers

Home Depot and Lowes carry them if you live in the US.

Like @DementedDragon I have used them instead of the large magnet that comes with the sensor because they are too darn big. Example my mailbox where I put an Iris V2 contact under the box and use a small round rare earth magnet on the door.

John Rob.
I think i have the contact sorted for this application but you mention a good option.
Can you tell me what type of contact sensors you know of that accept an external inputs?

Thanks
Mac

Thanks...glad you sent the picture...i would have bought something larger!

I have only seen Zwave that have them. Both monoprice and Ecolink have them. Just make sure you get Zwave plus. If you are handy you can easily get a Zigbee or any reed based contact sensor to work with external wires by soldering wires to both sides of the reed switch inside.

This thread of mine has pictures and other applicable details.

agree but I think that's like trying to find a unicorn now. I filter ebay and not even one showed up in the last 2 years, nothing but the new junk contact sensor which is worse than nothing.

2 Likes

Is this the square'ish one? I think I saw one some days ago.

my PRECIOUS!!!
smartthings-review-sg-15-600x346

1 Like

Ah... so there appears to be 3 versions:

The one above with sharp corners at the sensor / magnet interface
A kind of rectandular:

And almost round:

With the one above the "great" sensor!

If anyone looking. I still have some contact sensor left

FWIW - I posted my solution for both temp and door monitoring last night. Sorry - searched for "Fridge" and didn't see this post.

wow. That is quite the solution.
I really like the conductive tape solution. Can you post a couple of additional pictures please? I'm trying to figure how i could add that but it seems that i'd have to go across the seal gasket with the tape. Maybe i'm simply missing how it can be installed.

You know for anyone who just wants to add just the conductive tape component of door open detection, i think there is a contact sensor that can be used vs the konected board. The ECOLINK Z-WAVE PLUS DOOR WINDOW SENSOR DWZWAVE2.5-ECO has a set of dry contacts that can be connected up to the tape to detect an open. I might try that option..as ive never played with it and need an excuse to get one.

Cheers
Mac

I added a few additional (dusty) pictures on the other post. Vertical tape installation on the frame of the unit and a horizonal piece on the gasket.

I totally agree with your suggestion about the DZWave2.5. I just had a spare konnected.io unit available after an install at my dad's house.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.