For those who own a personal weather station and have it working with HE, what do you own?

That’s what I’ve been using. I’m just trying to take as much load off my hubitat hubs as possible.

a while back I bought a C5 and moved all my community apps and dashboards to it. I moved most my complex rules to node-red (simpler for me), and my 'devices' hub run much better.

for sure. I am using four hubitat hubs to distribute load over and noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness and reliability when I moved my most complex automations to node-red.

1 Like

nice! that would be awesome! your driver has been great on hubitat. Now that pretty much all my automations that revolve around my weather station are in node-red though, I'd rather not have to route all that info through hubitat.

1 Like

I am just trying to get ANY weather to work. I have tried several. Nothing connects.

Are you saying you're using the EcoWitt gateway with the Ambient Weather sensor array? I have a WS-1001 but I'm looking for a gateway that allows me to access my sensor data locally without having to use a cloud service like WU.

I will say that in my case, the Ecowitt Gateway works just fine with my Ambient WS-2902A. That is why I added it into my driver.

yes ecowitt works with ambient devices but not vice versa

Chiming in very late to this... I have a Davis Vantage 2 Pro that connects to the web via CumulusMX, which in turn reports to Weather Underground. I get weather back into HE via the enhanced Weather Underground driver from @dJOS, which I believe builds on earlier work from @Cobra. It works beautifully.

I do wish I could find a driver that connects CumulusMx to HE so that I had a connection between HE and my weather station that didn't go through the web, but apparently this is difficult due to the design of CumulusMx. If I switched to WeeWx, there is a driver that does just that (but I don't currently have the time to switch all my feeds from from CumulusMx to WeeWx, and running both on the same RPi doesn't work reliably). Anyway, that's my setup, and I'm very happy with it other than the need to go through the web to get data into my HE. Even that is very reliable, though, and I want to change it only as a "what happens if the world collapses for a bit" precaution. I never worried much about that until the past year!

2 Likes

Ecowitt HP2553 works perfect through Mircolino's excellent integration

2 Likes

Hesitating between the Ambient Weather WS-2902C WiFi Smart Weather Station and the tempest weather station. Is the Temoest all that it’s cracked up to be at twice the price?

I’ve got a Netatmo system with all the modules. Works great with HE.

I have an older Ambient 2902A and a Tempest (and an Acurite). Tempest has certainly made a decent app and the station seems well constructed and works well. My Ambient has not had any problems though. Both can be integrated in a couple ways.

I have both. From my opinion I prefer the rain gauge better on the WS-2902 seems to be more accurate than the haptic detector on the tempest. The tempest doesn't really give you a rain rate per hour like the WS-2902, it just says "heavy" or "moderate"

But I would say the tempest is better on temperature, wind speed/direction, UV index and most of the rest. My favorite attribute is the lightning detection with the tempest.

The highest wind speed I could ever get on the WS-2902 was 28mph (even when a tornado came through), The tempest has exceeded that regularly

1 Like

I'm undecided on this one. I kinda prefer the ambient app just because it gives you daily/monthly/yearly highest and lowest temperature indoor and outdoor and total rainfall for the day/event/week/month/ yearly total. To me there's more data available with the ambient app. The tempest does seem to be much quicker actually getting real time data though.

1 Like

There is a good example of use. I rarely use mine and only want some quick, basic information when I do. Then again, I have never claimed to be a "weather guy". The three weather stations are no proof otherwise. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m using tempest for everything except rain. I bought an Ecowhitt rain gauge for that.

1 Like

Do you find that rain gauge to be much better? How do you get data into HE?

Ecowitt integration by @anon81541053 works great. You’ll need an ecowitt gateway device to integrate their sensors (including the rain gauge) with Hubitat, though.

Honestly I’m not 100% sure on which one is better. The tempest was known to be not so accurate based on the fact that it uses an algorithm and not a rain cup like the ecowhitt. It also registers “rain” from vibration in heavy winds. I honestly haven’t even looked at it closely. As far as getting data into HE, I use Microlines Weatherflow Tempest UDP relay for Linux running on my QNAP NAS in a Linux container to get the data into HE and microlines driver for ecowhitt.