For those who own a personal weather station and have it working with HE, what do you own?

"Pity the fool..." - Mr. "T" :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

When someone gets a Tempest... let me know what the data looks like and I volunteer to build it into my AmbientEcowitt (then Tempest) Driver... or a separate Tempest Driver if it is just too much of a mess otherwise.

2 Likes

Sweet!!

They say it works with Smarthings amongst others so it shouldn't be a huge stretch.

Just because something works with ST does not always mean it is possible, now that they have made their own interface method for stuff. A recent example would be the SmartDry sensor. That being said, I checked the Tempest Indiegogo and they do mention the will have an API available. So it looks like they should be OK.

1 Like

With a shown desire to integrate with HE, hopefully it won't be too hard. Maybe one could even reach out to them if issues were encountered.

I just emailed them asking about access to their API and such... so we shall see. Otherwise, might be good to start a separate thread about Tempest specifically as this thread is getting off the initial purpose.

3 Likes

Eh, my Weatherflow integrates with Hubitat today... Just via Node-RED. :wink:

1 Like

If it’s a Davis VP2 you may want to consider replacing the motherboard. They are easy to work on and there are videos showing how to do it. Parts are available at Scaled Instruments and certainly less expensive than a new station. I purchased my VP2 in 2006 and have replaced a few parts here and there but it still is as good a unit as when I bought it.

My plan is to integrate my WeatherFlow station to my HE using the community WeeWX driver, once I'm done migrating everything over from Wink. (I wrote the WeatherFlow UDP driver for WeeWX, so I'm a bit biased in believing it and WeeWX is the best way to feed my HE.) :blush:

I also plan to figure out a way to push lightning strike and rain start alerts from WeeWX/WF into HE, because both would be actionable triggers for automations.....

If you are already using WeeWX, that would make perfect sense!

1 Like

I have an instance or 20 running at home. :slight_smile:

There's a third mast there now with a Tempest on it. Yes, everyone needs 4 weather stations in their back yard..... :wink:

5 Likes

What type (link) of pole/mast are you using?

The best-kept secret in weather station mounts:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-1-3-8-in-x-10-ft-6-in-17-Gauge-Galvanized-Top-Rail-328913DPT/100322532

You can stack two of them (21 feet tall) and mount them to a deck or wooden fence post without guy wires. When joining the two sections, use a round of sheet metal screws or muffler clamps at the joint, since welding galvanized metal causes brain damage and no professional will touch that welding job.....

2 Likes

I need to show this post/photo to my wife. She frowned when I told her I was buying a second weather station (Tempest). :grinning:

1 Like

Only two?!?!? :rofl:

RAF Red Arrows last summer:

Dedicated WF Sky on the rail for measuring rain, along with the Davis VP2 aerocone and a manual 4" CoCoRaHS Stratus bucket. There is also an 8" Rainwise tipping bucket gauge there now:

The mast obscuring the Stratus bucket is the one going up to the AcuRite 5-in-1. There is also now a pair of H-Field ferrite rod antennas mounted 90 degrees apart out there, connected to my Blitzortung lightning detector.

If you think that HA is an expensive hobby..... :rofl:

2 Likes

@vreihen
OK, from the pic it looks like the poles are in sections every 2ft. I guess those are zip-ties or tape I'm seeing holding cables in place.

I know what you mean about adding the galvanized pipe together..... :wink:

I've done that with our 23ft pixel Christmas tree we've used in our past Christmas display.

2 Likes

Thanks! I enjoy seeing all those extra photos and details, however, I don't think it will impress the wife for fear that she'll think I'll go down the same path over time. I'm definitely impressed! I have a Davis Vantage Vue that has served me well since 2011. I'm getting a Tempest for the additional sensors it has that my Vue doesn't -- lightning strike count, UV, solar radiation, etc.

What software do you use to manage all this weather data? I use Weather Display...

1 Like

The pole sections are 10.5 feet long, with zip ties every ~18" to hold the Davis VP2 anemometer/vane cable on one mast and the DIY remote power box cable for the AcuRite 5-in-1 on the other mast. They are flared like old TV antenna mast, so you can stack them with screws/clamps at the joint to hold them together. I wouldn't go more than two high (21 feet) without guy wires.

For the price, they can't be beat...and are a perfect fit for the WeatherFlow Sky (and Tempest) mast mount.....

1 Like

WeeWX. I wrote the WeatherFlow UDP driver for it that everyone is using. I have four Raspberry Pi instances of WeeWX running, so it's a no-brainer to use it for my HE integration when I get to that point.

If you're curious, here is a live link to a report comparing the WF Air/Sky against the Davis VP2 sharing the same mast:

http://home.hvtraffic.com:845/weewx/compare.html

1 Like

That is very cool thank you for sharing!!

I am using the Weewx MQTT extension and Mosquitto broker on a Pi3 to expose the data to Node-RED (which I use to control HE) for my, uh, somewhat less sophisticated setup. Seems to work very well so far but haven't really done anything exciting yet.

1 Like