For those who own a personal weather station and have it working with HE, what do you own?

I have a Ambient WS-2902 and the data is pulled via weeWX using the observer module. I can pull the data straight into HE.

You have to run weeWX on something (typically a RasPi) though to pull the data, correct? I have not been willing to do that.

Nothing against weeWX... I have had bad luck with my RasPi's getting corrupted time after time for various past projects that they have all been shelved for a while now.

Depends on what you want to spend. Maybe start with an inexpensive setup and see how it works. Then eventually work up to a Davis or Weatherflow if you are really into weather. I had an Ambient Weather Fine Offset for a few years and worked very well. Since I wanted more features such as soil temp and moisture, Davis was the choice.

Just like anything involving HA, correct? Start with a couple devices... Maybe a few hundred $ (or equivalent local currency)... and before long you realize your Hubitat has 100+ devices worth thousands, yet you still want more.

1 Like

I used to own a Davis, but the motherboard failed.. After 10 years. I then bought a Bloomsky, which was total garbage.

I now have an order for Tempest, which supposedly will support Hubitat from the get go. If this fails, I'll go back to a Davis station.

I have the Ambient Weather WS-2902A WiFi Smart Weather Station and created a HE compatible SmartApp for it.

The app is not 100% perfect since it was my first SmartThings to HE port, but it can read the Ambient API for a variety of Ambient Network attached weather systems and allows one to customize the HE dashboard to show various weather data values.

4 Likes

I'm about to pull the lever on the Tempest also. Looks like an amazing leap in weather station design. Doesn't look like a "tree", no batteries, no moving parts, and free access to their global network. What sold you on it and how did you determine its compatibility with HE?

I dunno my weewx setup has been working nicely on an old RPi3 - I have an "AcuRite 06014 PRO+ 5-in-1" with the "AcuRite 06006M Color Display" (the one with the "PC Connect" option). The 06006M connects to the RPi via USB and weewx gets the data and pushes it to an MQTT broker via a plugin. That broker is the "mosquitto" broker and runs on the same RPi. Use Node-RED to capture the data and manipulate HE devices. You could also use the new HE MQTT app being developed to access the data. Keeping it in MQTT is nice because of the flexibility.

My only let down was the "06014 Pro" does not have a lux sensor... which is a bummer.

Well just to answer the original question, I have Netatmo and I am using @srwhite 's integration. It just works and you will have indoor modules as well as outdoor modules. The indoor modules measure noise, CO2 temp and humidity indoors and more. In my mind it goes a little beyond the regular PWS.

Have you had any issues with the weatherflow? I've been looking at them to replace my ambient weather station.

Only issues have been with accuracy on mist/very light rain. And the new Tempest model shipping mid-summer may help improve that (don't know, not testing it).

Mine has been running on a 2B+ for over 2 years -- it also hosts my MQTT bridge with same sdcard.

It really depends on the sdcard you buy. The cheap ones last maybe a year or less and how you have it setup to reduce read/write.

For instance weeWX writes the web pages to a tmpfs along with all the various /var/log stuff so that I can save as much read/writing as possible.

weewx_html /home/weewx/public_html tmpfs size=90M,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

That looks nice, where did you see hubitat support? I took a quick look at their kickstarter page but maybe I missed it.

1 Like

I am a gadget nut and I have always been tempted by a ultrasonic wind speedmeter. I hope the quality and support is good.

For how I know it supports Hubitat, I asked that question here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weatherflow/tempest-a-revolutionary-personal-weather-system/comments?comment=Q29tbWVudC0yNjU4NjUxMA%3D%3D&ref=ksr_email_comment_new_reply_notification

Tagging @marktheknife as he is also asking below.

3 Likes

@Kulfsson

Katching! $$$... Just bought one.

And now... we wait...

1 Like

Yeah well, they also considered that integration for the original weatherflow, yet it never happened.... LOL. Granted, for the original that was long after the weatherflow was released, and they never directly promised anything.

At least it is super easy to integrate with node-red or weewx, and then Hubitat, if they fall through on that.

Or if Hubitat ever supports listening on a port for unsolicited udp broadcasts, it would be very easy to write a driver for. That's a Hubitat limitation, though, not a weatherflow one.

4 Likes

There's a Tempest Indiegogo campaign that Weatherflow ran at the same time as the Kickstarter one. Weatherflow has been around for over 20 years. The Kickstarter campaign makes no mention of the one on Indiegogo. The one on Kickstarter closed some months ago (they made a LOT of money). The one on Indiegogo is still open and has pulled in over $2 million. As of this moment you can still place an order on Indiegogo for another two days or so (there's a clock on the site). So if you want one you gotta skip over there and reserve it. There's more info on that site too.

3 Likes

I'm in, just pulled the trigger on a Tempest. So now I guess I'll have two weather stations installed at my house! WAF may drop, will see...

The one I currently have is the Davis Vantage Vue which I highly recommend for its accuracy and rugged construction. It's more expensive (at least when I bought it) than the ones previously mentioned - Ambient Weather, Aercus, Tempest, etc. but definitely less expensive than the Davis Vantage Pro2 series.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/solution/vantage-vue/

Edit: the main motivation for getting the Tempest is for the additional sensors that my Vantage Vue doesn't have -- ambient light, UV, solar radiation and lightning detector...

1 Like

For sharing your Tempest data we’ll send you an annual dividend check. Just install it, upload some photos and keep the data coming. In 2020 and 2021 we’ll send at least $15 per year. *Future year dividend depends on WeatherFlow revenues.

all that plus $30 back, and possibly more to come.

Then you thru in.....

If you would like to purchase a dedicated hardware display from WeatherFlow, you can add one to your Kickstarter pledge for an additional $49 when you receive the shipping verification email, or you may purchase it for the same low rate at a later date. Down the road we expect to offer multiple add-on display options from simple digital displays to high-end wood & brass clock-like displays.

Ok I'm in, order placed!

1 Like

"Pity the fool..." - Mr. "T" :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like