Folders in rule machine

It would be great if there was to better organize my rules in RM. Some type of folder system or a minimize function would be great.

1 Like

My method involves naming rules to keep them together. PE is periodic events, TOD is time of day, MD is motion det, etc. Not folders, but works well for me.

2 Likes

I am slowly developing naming prefixes to help with the long list of rules that I have. Groupings would be great if they can add another attribute to the rule metadata. Until then I have done something like this:

I would love tags and a filter so that i can grab all of my rules by room, by function, by occurrence or whatever i want it grouped with. If i had to do folders, im not sure how i would sort it.

There is a filter but it only applies to the parent rule (rule machine) so it doesn't filter out to the sub-rule level. What I've done is always have the room first so that they are all grouped together.

I'm confused by your naming.

Every rule has an action, so I'm trying to determine what your one rule with the name "Rule" in it means?

Also, what's your naming you use for rules that fall outside a room.

I prefix with "Control-"

For generic rules ?

Those tagged with "Action" only have actions in them no rules, Those tagged with "Rules" have a rule set associated with. Actions can be called from other rules. Generic rules are in the "Control" prefix.

I agree. I moved from Homeseer. The folder section I really miss.