Flakey C-8 + Issue(s) with Protect Registration

Good news is the hub has been stable for a few hours now!

I have been using the out of the box power adapter plugged directly into the C-8. So simply using a POE enabled port on my unify switch caused the issue? Doesn't make sense but simply cutting POE on the port seems to have fixed the problem.

Lets let things stay stable for a couple of days before claiming victory. In the meantime this week please sort out the account stuff - thank you in advance.

If it was passive PoE, it would have likely killed your hub …..

Spoke too soon - hub went down again after a few hours this time. Argh. From what I can see logs are clean.

@bobby - I will continue to disable things but I am feeling like the next step is to just replace the hub and see what happens.

Double power to hub likely fried some circuits.

Aren't the Unify PoE device all active (meaning they only send power if the device asks for it)?

The only way it would have fried anything is if it was connected to a passive PoE since the ethernet port on the hub is not designed to handle PoE. Active PoE should be fine since the switch would not send any power down the line.

2 Likes

I received my warranty replacement C-8 today and supposedly my Hub Protect subscription was sorted out the other day as the ID of my current hub now matches up properly with what is in the Subscriptions section of my account page and says "Active" under status.

Going through the hub migration instructions I got to the point of creating / verifying I have a good cloud backup (after hitting the Back up now button under the cloud backup tab).

It then says "Look for cloud or migration (depending on the method used above) under the Type column and the name of the current/old hub under Name to find the backup you just made."

Problem is the backup is showing as local instead of the expected value of Cloud as the docs say to confirm.

Any ideas?

Also at the top if I hit "Reload backups now" button it pauses for a few seconds but nothing happens / changes.

Are you looking on the old hub or new one (should show up on either really if they are both on the same account)?

Check the logs. Possibly the cloud backup failed so it just saved the local backup and bailed. Not sure what it logs exactly if it fails, I do not have that subscription. Are you sure your hub can reach the cloud servers?

This is what it should look like for a cloud backup where yours says local.

This is on the old hub in preparation for migrating to the new one as I haven't booted up the new one yet. Logs say nothing about a backup at all.

One "related" issue that may be relevant. I replied to my support ticket with the following ancillary issue the other day but never got a response back.

On Monday my Amazon Echo integration failed with the below error repeating in the logs. Forum posts suggested I just remove the skill on the Alexa all and relink which I tried but then it won't relink with the error "Unable to link account with Alexa. Not sure if these issues are related.

I even removed the Alexa app from the apps page of Hubitat and the error in the log still persists.

From Alexa App

That is further evidence that your hub is not able to reach the cloud/internet.

However the error you posted is from Echo Speaks, not the Alexa integration, and that error is due to a broken service and the updated Echo Speaks app removed it to prevent the error. I think I pointed this out to you before on another thread possibly? Or maybe it was someone else recently.

You can go to Settings > Network > Network Test
And then try to ping cloud.hubitat.com

You can also go to My Hubitat > Registered Hubs > Hub Details and it will show you the last time to hub checked in with the cloud system. Should normally be within the last 12-24hrs I think. If the system thinks the hub is offline the Hub name and "Connect to Hub" button will be greyed out.

See pictures below;

My existing hub is able to ping cloud.hubitat.com however the last time it checked in was on Monday @ 8:21 in the morning and is showing as NOT active. Also note I have Echo Speaks disabled so no idea why it would still be showing errors in the logs.

One other clue to share - On Monday at the exact same time of the last check-in I attempted to switch the hub over to Wi-Fi to try and see if that would help. It would allow me to switch over to Wi-Fi temporarily (before rebooting) but upon rebooting it wouldn't respond to ping anymore so I had to plug in the ethernet cable again to disable Wi-Fi / revert back. This is also the exact time my Echo stopped working and I was unable re-link it.

I sent all of this info to support when they acknowledged my ticket and shipped the new unit but no response. I also send a PM to @bobbyD on Monday morning with all of these details but haven't heard back.

Probably the app, what about the devices it creates, that log message was from a device?

For the cloud connection. I am thinking maybe the Wifi connection is lingering and causing some issues. I would go into Network Setup, make sure Wifi is totally disconnected.
Then I would do a network reset (hold hidden button under hub for 7+ seconds and let go, LED will blink and hub reboots). This just clears all the network settings and puts it back on DHCP.

Hopefully that will clear things up and let it get reconnected fully.

Side note, I think 172.16.1.1 is a private IP isn't it (like 192.168.1.1)?
Do you have any sort of DNS blocking that could be redirecting DNS lookups to hand out that IP?

What are the three private IP address ranges?

The three private address ranges are class A, class B, and class C. The class A private IP address range goes from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255. The class B private address range includes from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255, and class C private IP addresses span between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255.

Very strange - see the ping I just ran from my PC (on the same network as the hub). Notice DNS is resolving it to d194wzi4ri2kev.cloudfront.net / 13.224.213.101

Going to try the reset trick now.

1 Like

Success! (so far)

After resetting the networking the proper address responds to ping from the hub and checked in / shows active on my account. As a bonus the echo speaks log errors are also gone. Most importantly however it allowed me to create a cloud backup so I am now going to attempt to migrate to the new hub. Will respond back with the outcome. Many thanks for the help!

UPDATE - I am happy to report my replacement hub successful transferred over, Alexa is working again and the logs look clean.

Many thanks again to @jtp10181 for the help!

3 Likes