Flakey C-8 + Issue(s) with Protect Registration

I am a long time Hubitat user. My original C-7 had an issue and it was replaced via the warranty a few years ago. I also purchased Protect when it originally was offered and its maintained through today. I purchased a C-8 immediately upon its release and used the migration process to seamlessly move the Z-Wave stuff over. When I completed the migration I assumed my ongoing protect subscription associated to the old device would have been moved over to the new C-8. I also thought I noticed the cloud backup was still working.

My C-8's configuration has been 100% static since I installed it in terms of apps & devices and haven't had a single issue until recently / the last month or so. Every couple of months I go in and update to the latest firmware.

Several weeks ago the C-8 started occasionally (weekly or so) dropping off of the network & not respond to a ping. The solid green light was always lit however. If I simply cycled the power it would come back.

In the last couple days it has been going offline several times a day. At the moment seems to be failing within 30 minus after reboot. When I logged into my account I noticed three devices (one in green showing protected). I hit the deregister button on the two showing red / not protected thinking these were my old ones. As it turns out one of the ones showing not protected was my NEW C-8 that somehow wasn't transferred over.

So now I have a malfunctioning hub, its not protected, and I have no cloud backup - not a good place to be in.

So as I see it I need help with the following;

(1) Get my current C-8 properly redigested (was purchased from Hubutat / ID ends with c491196003d8) ASAP so I can get a cloud backup before it fails completely. Now when I go into Backup / Restore from the menu it doesn't show my subscription even through I am all paid up.

(2) Figure out what's up with my C-8. Not sure if you guys want to troubleshoot it or simply replace.

Again the key here is getting a cloud backup of my current C-8 so I don't need to rebuild my Z-wave network from scratch since the local backup won't preserve it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You should open a case here: https://support.hubitat.com/
Buttons at the bottom, either Warranty or Subscriptions.

For the hub going offline, I would check the logs first, if you have s bunch of errors flying around there it would be a good place to start. A service one of your integrations connects to could have changed or be offline causing things to generate a lot of errors.

2 Likes

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I clicked on the Subscriptions button at the bottom of the page you linked and completed the form. I simply pasted in a link to this post since it has all of the details.

In terms of the logs I pasted in a picture of the regular recurring errors. Not sure if this is benign or the actual issue. Like I said absolutely nothing has changed with the app set for more than a year except regular updates .

dev:3012023-10-28 10:18:25.549 PMinfoBasement Stairs Motion temperature is 72.34°F

dev:3012023-10-28 10:17:21.253 PMinfoBasement Stairs Motion illuminance is 0 Lux

app:622023-10-28 10:16:21.826 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | getDeviceActivity | Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

app:622023-10-28 10:16:21.813 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | getDeviceActivity | Stack Trace: groovyx.net.http.ResponseParseException: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found
at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.getDeviceActivity(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.groovy:2780)
at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.getDeviceActivity(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.groovy)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.getDeviceActivity(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy:1054)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.refreshData(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy:627)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.refreshData(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy)

dev:5572023-10-28 10:16:21.612 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:1572023-10-28 10:13:50.451 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

app:622023-10-28 10:12:17.791 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | wakeupServerResp Exception: java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request

app:622023-10-28 10:12:17.784 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | wakeupServerResp | Stack Trace: java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request
at hubitat.scheduling.AsyncResponse.getData(AsyncResponse.groovy:71)
at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.wakeupServerResp(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.groovy:2228)

app:622023-10-28 10:12:17.776 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | wakeupServerResp Server may be down / unreachable

app:622023-10-28 10:12:17.771 PMwarn EchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | wakeupServerResp: 404

app:1122023-10-28 10:09:51.024 PMinfo Action (v4.2.2.0) | Initialize Event Received...

dev:5592023-10-28 10:09:48.170 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:1572023-10-28 10:09:47.970 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

app:622023-10-28 10:09:47.868 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | getDeviceActivity | Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

app:622023-10-28 10:09:47.822 PMerrorEchoApp (v4.2.2.0) | getDeviceActivity | Stack Trace: groovyx.net.http.ResponseParseException: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found
at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.getDeviceActivity(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.groovy:2780)
at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.getDeviceActivity(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_87.groovy)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.getDeviceActivity(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy:1054)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.refreshData(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy:627)
at user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.refreshData3(user_driver_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_Device_426.groovy:591)

dev:5572023-10-28 10:09:47.565 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:5282023-10-28 10:09:47.162 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:1492023-10-28 10:09:46.820 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:1412023-10-28 10:09:46.461 PMerrorEcho (v4.2.2.0) | getPlaylists Response Exception | Status: (404) | Msg: status code: 404, reason phrase: Not Found

dev:6932023-10-28 10:09:41.198 PMinfoEcho (v4.2.2.0) | Echo - Domenic's 3rd Echo Executing initialize()

1. Disable your Echo Speaks integration. Are you using a local server for authentication or Heroku? If it is the latter, do you have a Heroku subscription?

2. Perform a soft reset as described in the documentation. You can also download the most recent backup, and restore it immediately. That is equivalent to a soft reset.

2 Likes

I disabled Echo Speaks. Will need to wait a while to see if it fixed the issue.

I set the app up in March of 2021 and haven't touched it since. I just use it for a voice to say "Someone is at the front door" when my motion gets triggered. Now that I am thinking about it recently its only been working sporadically. Even stranger I just found an email in my inbox from Heroku I apparently missed dated 10/5/22 stating:

You have 30 days to log back into Heroku. If you log into Heroku within 30 days, then your account will remain active and your data on your Heroku account will not be deleted. If you do not log into your Heroku account in the next 30 days, the following will be deleted:
• Data - your apps (listed in this email below) as well as any add-ons attached to those apps
• Account - your Heroku account associated with the recipient email address in this message

Needless to say I never did anything and my account was deleted a year ago. Interestingly the app only stopped working (sporadically) recently.

I am not sure how to fix this if indeed this is the cause of my issue. How would I use a local server for authentication? Is there a deep dive explanation documented somewhere that explains how to set such a server up and how to make it work with Echo Speaks (if you or anyone knows and could share).

Thanks again.

I can tell your echo speaks app is outdated because of the getPlaylists error. The other error getDeviceActivity has been happening recently and is a known issue, seems to be harmless.

If you want to try and setup a local echo speaks server here is my guide for it: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

4 Likes

I did a soft reset / re-loaded from backup & disabled echo speaks but still the hub is still going down about once per hour now. I also installed the docker container as per your guide before disabling it (great writeup). Package manager says everything is up to date and echo speaks is v4.2.2 which I assume is current.

Maybe my hub is bad? I put in a ticket and am waiting to hear back. I there a way to kick the logs up a notch to maybe get a clue to why / where its crashing?

Echo Speaks 4.2.3.0 is current. If you installed it from the "Beta" HPM package you need to use the unmatch on that and then run matchup and link it to the normal package (not beta). Not a ton changed but they disabled that getPlaylists feature since it was broken by a change from Amazon.

Support has access to engineering logs, thats the only additional logging.

When hub locks up can you still access the diagnostic tool on port 8081?

Has anything changed on your LAN? New router or switches or change of configuration?

1 Like

When it locks it won't even respond to ping.

Absolutely nothing has changed in over a year in terms of the configuration, switches, router, etc. All static. Just lockups starting about a month ago (week or two apart) and now failures after reboot in about an hour or less after the power is cycled.

I hope someone responds to my ticket where I pasted in the URL to this post.

try a differnet usb power supply.. could be going bad.

2 Likes

Yes try a different power supply 1A-2A is good.

Also, did not see mention of this but what platform version is the hub running and did you by chance update it recently? Could try using the diagnostic tool to roll back to a prior major version like 2.3.5

My biggest worry is / was that I am without a cloud backup due to the subscription issue. Notice the picture in my first post. The first hub listed - The Italian Palace(new) is my C-8 but it thinks its not protected / connected to my subscription. The middle one, my old C-7, is what it thinks is protected but was sent to e-waste over a year ago. Despite all of this I am sure my C-8 WAS showing regular cloud backups. When I hit "deregister hub" for the two above my Backup screen in the UI suddenly showed I had no subscription.

About 20 minutes ago I clicked the add a subscription button / paid again even though my subscription was already active.

Now look at the below picture. Notice that now (thank goodness) its confirming it has indeed been backing up to the cloud despite thinking this hub wasn't registered. Very strange.

I wonder if Hubitat support monitors this forum? I don't have a good feeling because when I filled out the web form to presumably open a ticket I didn't get any form of acknowledgment via email or any response.

Yes but it is also the weekend so they may be doing other things and not online. I will tag @bobbyD just in case, but he should see your case you submitted in due time (I would assume tomorrow some time).

2 Likes

Transferring the subscription is not an automated process, however, if your old hub is still registered to you, you can transfer the service by following instructions in this post:

1 Like

Unless you are dealing with a hardware malfunction on the hub side, if the network disconnects are occuring periodically and roughly at the same time, then I would check to make sure that you don't have 2 clients in your network sharing the same IP address.

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the engineering log that could help troubleshoot network issues, but we will look to see if there are any other obvious problems that might explain the issues you are having.

For now I would disable all custom apps and drivers to see if that resolves the problem. Even if you didn't make any physical changes, it doesn't mean that an app or driver didn't start misbehaving.

I have a robust end-to-end Unifi setup in my home with a UDM Pro at the top of the food chain. The Hubitat has a static IP that is completely outside of the DHCP range with noting else conflicting. The switch the C-8 is plugged into has several other devices that are OK. I swapped the hub with another port just to make sure. To me the issue isn't a network drop but rather the Hubitat is simply crashing.

I will start disabling custom apps and drivers as you suggested to try and isolate if I can do anything to keep the thing up.

In the meantime can you also please look into the protect registration issue I documented above? For now by de-registering & registering the old orphaned hubs + the C-8 I at least seem to have a good cloud backup now. Can you verify that and refund the redundant $30 I had to pay this morning to make everything work + make sure it auto-bills whenever the subscription is supposed to naturally renew?

If I can't isolate the crashing problem to any custom apps I guess you can just send me out a replacement?

Thanks

Are you powering the hub with PoE or a separate power supply? (Unify PoE has known issues with the C-8)

2 Likes

I didn't even know the C-8 was a POE device... I have the external power supply the C-8 shipped with plugged in.

POE is on by default however - could there be a conflict?

In any event I just disabled POE power to the port just to make sure.

Yup, will sort it out, tomorrow.

It is NOT.

There are people using PoE to USB-C adapters. Which seems to work with some PoE switches, but not others.