[Fixed] Problem: Notifications extremly delayed (after update?)

Have you upgraded the phone OS lately?

I just confirmed my wife's phone is doing it also. She is on Android 10 and I am on 11. I was not having this issue, prior to 225 update.

@Jasonrwise77

What version are your clients?

Clients? are you asking about the android version?

App Version

1.5.1 and this is the only version available, I just installed it an hour ago. Figured trying a reinstall might help.

So, we have different versions of android 10/11, different client versions 1.5.1/1.5.3, and at least 2 different server versions reported... Iā€™m out of ideas

Only common thread Iā€™m seeing is that they all seem to be on Android...

Yeah I think so, but up until just a few days ago it was flawless... instant , or as close as possible

Ok, I am guess if 1.5.3 came out on 2/1 it has not hit the server for me yet.

@Jasonrwise77 I am signed up as a beta tester so probably why I have that version available

I just signed up for the beta, so will see what 1.5.3 does for me.

I have the same issue on 1.5.3, I contacted support and hopefully they can replicate the issue and then fix it.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the last Android security update messed this up. This was all working perfect less than 2 weeks ago, and I did update my phone in there somewhere.

I'm using the Hubitat app in version 1.5.1.
But this app hasn't changed for months!

BTW: No other app shows any notification problem; Only Hubitat has a notification delay of about 5 to 10 minutes. The mess started ca. 2 weeks ago...

1 Like

The only pattern I can reproduce:
When the smartphone display is on (e.g. while I'm using it), the notifications arrive immediately.
When the smartphone display is off, it takes up to 10 minutes. But when I than unlock my smartphone the delayed Hubitat notifications are all arriving at the same time.

I was having the same issue, and I was blaming the Samsung update in January to Android 11, but maybe the blame is in Hubitat?

Anyway, I found a temporary fix (temporary because you have to reapply after each phone reboot), which is to disable Doze via adb.

The command is adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

It fixed the issue for me and I'm getting instant notifications from Hubitat now.

But doesn't this disables Doze for all apps?!? :open_mouth:

Regarding the official documentation you (should be able to?) activate Doze on a per app basis via "Battery Optimization" - and that's exactly that, what we all have already tried. :cry:

But reading the Google dev docs on notifications I've found this statement:

"The App developer is able to define how important the notification is for the user [...]"

Maybe the app needs a little change to set it's notification importance to high (i.e. NotificationManager.IMPORTANCE_HIGH)?

@support: Have you checked this? :point_up_2:

More:

Yes, I think the priority is the main issue.
But as a troubleshooting step you should try the doze disabling I suggested, it is reset after a reboot anyway.
I agree that disabling doze as a whole is not ideal, but especially at this time that most people are at home, I personally don't care that much about battery life and would rather have timely notifications
I also tried using adb to whitelist the Hubitat app package on doze, but I still had the delay

2 Likes

As anyone found a fix for this, mine are very delayed on android, s10, latest beta
@bobbyD