[Fixed] Problem: Notifications extremly delayed (after update?)

As anyone found a fix for this, mine are very delayed on android, s10, latest beta
@bobbyD

Read my message above about adb

Just as a data point mine are delayed again. I'll take a look at the workaround above. App 1.5.3, Android 10.

That makes no sense to me, I've gone into the power management settings and confirmed its not being optimised

1 Like

I did the same, but it was still delayed. Disabling via adb solved it

Whats adb

https://www.xda-developers.com/what-is-adb/

Thank you all for your feedback. We were able to replicate the problem and our developers are exploring options to optimize the app for the doze cycles.

6 Likes

UPDATE: this issue has been resolved. Notifications should be working as expected even when the phone is sleeping.

7 Likes

@bobbyD

Seems back to normal from what I can see!!! Thanks :+1:

@Jost perhaps replace problem with resolved or fixed in title of post. Thanks for bringing it up initially

2 Likes

Thanx a lot! :+1: :beer:

As a software developer I have to ask:
What have you done to fix the problem?

Obviously there was no update involved... :thinking:

We changed how important the notification is :slight_smile: It seems like Google fixed a bug in a recent release and actually enforce the priorities that have been omitted (and ignored by some developers) since Android 6 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:laughing: :+1:

OK... but without changing the app or Hubitat? :thinking:

I thought my notifications are local (apart from Google's part), i.e. my Hubitat sends notifications via FCM to my smartphone app?

Confirmed resolved, all notifications working this morning as expected. You guys rock!

I'm wondering whether I might be experiencing this, even though it is mentioned above that this was fixed....

I am running the mobile app beta version 1.6.1 and can send a notification to my phone by going into the device edit page for my mobile app device in the HE web UI. When I enter a text string and run the "Device Notification" command, I do not see a notification pop up on my phone, but if I open the HE app on my phone, the notification does appear in the Notifications section. I don't have any battery optimisation turned on that I can see in the app setup on my phone.

I had this situation earlier today, seeing the notification in the HE mobile app with nothing popping up on the phone itself, then ~6 mins later the notification popped up on my phone's notifications.

I have notifications that do come through for my washing machine that do produce pop-ups on the phone, so will try to see if there is any delay in them appearing in this way compared to when they are sent.

I have the same setup for a Lenovo tablet and notifications both appear in the app almost immediately but also produce a notification pop-up as I would expect.

Any thoughts...? @bobbyD ?

EDIT: Restarting the phone does appear to have made a difference, at least in one test. Happy to continue assessing it for now and report back if I notice it again.

Simon

Sounds like your phone is putting the Hubitat app to sleep.
I have had similar issues and solved it by going to the phone's Settings and select apps. Scroll to the Hubitat app and turn off any battery optimization and make sure Allow background activity is on.

1 Like

Thanks, I had checked the battery optimisation and Hubitat was not optimised, but had not checked the background setting. Unfortunately this was already set to allow the Hubitat app to use the battery in the background, so still not sure what could have been causing the delayed notification pop-ups.

The restart of the phone seemed to help yesterday, will do a few more tests today.

Simon

The restart seems to have continued to be the solution in my case, some test notifications have come through straight away again this morning.