Firmware Update - Interface Confusing

The "Firmware Update" button on the Z-Wave Details page is a bit confusing in that it shows up all the time rather than when it is needed. It wold be helpful if this disappeared when there is no firmware update to be installed.

Have you clicked it a 2nd or 3rd time?

Because it will say there's no update needed. I think there's agreement that Vanishing is better, but it seems there's an item or two ahead of that in the queue. :smiley:

2 Likes

yep, more than enough "ahead in the queue" though this should be somewhere in the queue too.

I don't know if I agree with this request. It doesn't seem very efficient to have the hub attempt to check something on a cloud server every time I open that page for any reason. I am happy to check by clicking it from time to time. Automatic update checking has been the cause of many of my problems over the years.

The hub is already checking for its updates and it gives a notification flag when one is available. The Z-Wave update, if there is one, seems to be delivered as part of the Hub update -- at least the last Z-wave update came that way as part of a 2-step update process of updating the Hub, then Z-Wave. After the Hub update, the hub update flag goes away, but the z-wave update button stays - thus, the inconsistency - If the Hub update indicator goes away after a successful update, its inconsistent for the Z-Wave one to stay after a successful update - it implies the update didn't happen.

Hopefully auto-checking is optional... is it? Yes, it doesn't check till you choose to go into the update page. But you have to go into the zwave page for far more than updates, and the updates don't happen very often, so being able to choose when to check seems more efficient. Perhaps have all the update checking on that one main update page, including z-wave updates.

No, there's a once per day check. I think it's also once per reboot too, but that's probably a guess on my part.

Hubitat Staff have acknowledged the inconsistency of the Firmware button, but again, I'll say there are higher priorities. Said another way... the discussion about should the button display differently, has already been Won.

2 Likes

Thanks. Discussion done then!