Finally switched over, just a couple of problems

I've known for some time that I'd be a Hubitat user, it just took a hard nudge to ditch Wink. I'm now a proud Hubitat user of three days.
Getting all my devices disconnected from Wink was a nightmare, but setting up Hubitat has gone smoothly. All 20 devices are connected with only one problem child. I've set up eight rules and they are working fine. Alexa is happily turning my lights on demand.
My two problems:

1. I have a Stelpro STZW402+ z-wave thermostat. I've found info on two drivers that barely work, according to posters. Is it possible that there is a good driver but I just haven't found it yet?
  2. I have set up a group of lights called "Cabinet" and it works. My rule app turns it on and off. Alexa can turn other lights on and off but when I ask her to turn on the cabinet lights she says: "Cabinet doesn't support that". Where do I start looking?

Thanks!
Bill

1 Like

Sort of reading between the lines on number 2 here.

• Did you create a virtual switch named "cabinet"?
  • Did you expose this virtual switch to Amazon?
  • Did you use a virtual switch to trigger the rule?

Or did you do something else so Alexa could see the rule?

I have tried to keep everything as simple as possible at this stage. All I did was create the group and add two lights to it. My Amazon Echo skill app shows it is connected to Cabinet.

I haven't even researched virtual devices yet. Maybe I should.

When a group is created, a VS w same name is created. That switch needs to be exposed to Amazon

Also, make sure you cleared out any of the older device names associated with Wink or maybe a group you created in the Alexa app that used to have Wink devices associated. I've had this happen when I transitioned and had to clean up my Alexa devices/groups in the Alexa App

3 Likes

Ah, that may be the problem. It is using the same name as the group in Wink.
I'm off to Amazon Echo Land to clean house.

1 Like

OK, problem 2 solved.
There was already a group called Cabinet at alexa.amazon.com, that is what was confusing her.

Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

Tagging @burns_hub - I remember your getting this thermostat to work with HE a few months ago. It would be terrific if you could give a few pointers to @WA4OPQ

It would be nice if I actually remembered much about what I did, but I've just been using it ever since. But here is the thread where I learned and talked about just about everything: Questions about Stelpro STZW402+ Z-wave Thermostat
Of course they may well be a more official driver than the one I am using (which I think someone else wrote for a different device).

Thanks! I had read your thread earlier, it seems the driver is not quite what I was looking for, I've installed it and it's not very useful. It would be great if I was interested in cooling, emergency heat or fan.
But it will do for now. I see that there has been a lot done for the zigbee version, hopefully I can get it ported to z-wave.

Thanks again.

@bcopeland I'm not sure if this device is on your radar, but it sounds like it may need a little love.

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

Ok.. Who has one that is willing to troubleshoot?

I can do this this weekend

2 Likes

I'm a novice here, I know nothing about z-wave and zigbee protocols. But I'm command prompt comfortable and I copy and paste well.
My STZW402+ is located just outside in an underground storm shelter and it runs a 1000w baseboard heater.

Thats the main thing.. Since I would be developing this without having the device I would need debug logs to fix any code issues

This would be the 3rd device I have written a driver for that I didn’t have the device myself..

1 Like

It's not needed this summer. I'd be happy to box it up and ship it to you.