Finally made my Z-wave doggy door!

thin magnetip strip?

well that was simple enough and would have never thought of it. I doubt it would take much for the sensor to pick it up. Sounds like time for some testing and reporting back!

Thanks!

1 Like

How about a limit switch? You could use something like the ones in the link, and a sensor with an external input (Ecolink quite often have these). www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-ME-8108-Momentary-Switch-Roller/dp/B073SP7SXS

You could either have one at the top for fully open, or if you mounted it lower and off to the side of the door they could detect when the door initially opened. (or both)

First thought, use a roller micro-switch to monitor when the door starts to close.
Mount it inside, connect to dry contact sensor etc. etc.

Roller Switch

Second thought, modify Sonoff SNZB-04 to monitor when door closes.
Not so much modify as build a mount. A mount that allows the door to lift the magnet close enough to activate the sensor when at it's top position, and drop away as it closes.
An old Tic Tac container and some standoffs bravely volunteered to "prototype" :crazy_face: the concept.

Door sensor

Open

Closing

1 Like

I have a contact sensor on mine. Since your door goes up, you might put it at the bottom instead.

I have a Webcore piston that counts how long it takes for the door to open/close, and then turns off the power switch. Then it checks to see if the door status matches the contact switch, If not, I get a notification that something's wrong with the door.

1 Like