Finally got around to adding lights (LED strips) to two of our closets today. (lots of pics)

Uhm
:blush:
I scrolled right past that to the pictures. Sorry. You said I have pictures. I said YaY! And scrolled right down to the photos. OOpsie. My bad. But thanks for reiterating your devices.
:grin:

2 Likes

@magasser

Luckily for me, that part of the basement under the first floor closet is unfinished and has an outlet on the wall. So I was able to drill a hole in the floor and run the wire through to connect the 12v power to the smart outlet.

The wall on the other side of the basement closet, is also unfinished and I did the same there too.

2 Likes

This thread sucks... why? Because now I'm going to have to open my closets walls, run power and purchase and install this insanely awesome solution.

Lol. Thanks for sharing and posting all the pics. This is awesome.

3 Likes

right!.. I want this in all my closets now

3 Likes

Another possibility is to place a contact sensor on the edge of the door furthest back. Then on the door in front you can create a pocket for the magnet. Then it would only require one sensor regardless of which door was opened.

A few issues though...

• You would need to modify one of the doors. This may be an issue depending on hollow doors and skill level.
  • You would need to make sure the rear door opens all the way without crushing the sensor. A physical may be added to prevent this.
  • I'm sure there was one more note but I've now forgotten what it was.
1 Like

Actually, you can place the sensor on the very end of one door and then a thin magnet on the other door where they overlap if you use a thin magnet. If you open up one of the magnets that comes with the Iris contact sensors, you'll find that the actual magnet is only about 3mm thick. This is plenty thin enough to fit between two sliding doors. This is the method I used to mount a contact sensor on my screen door. I didn't want to have the sensor near the opening edge of the door, I wanted it near the center. So, I pulled the magnet out of it's case and just mounted it directly to the door. In the case of my slider, it was really easy since it's metal and ferrous. But some permanent mounting tape will keep it in place on your door. Then you wouldn't have to modify anything. And you can get earth magnets that would be plenty thin enough.

1 Like

Haha that last pic looks like from the exorcist. It looks nice! Funny corners though.
This makes me want to add them to all my closets! Just great, now I need to run power to all the closets.

Nice job! Your closets.... They are so organized and clean :astonished:

1 Like

In the corner out of frame. :rofl: Just kidding of course.

1 Like

Kinda of expensive, but the Sensative Strips Z-wave Plus Ultra Thin Door/window Contact Sensor would work perfect because of the thinness. It would mount in-between the doors, were they over lap on another.

2 Likes

And I just put an outlet in my entrance closet for my wireless setup.

4 Likes

Is that ... a button on top of your cpu fans? What's it for? Never thought to use a fan like that before to move air in a tight space. That's a nifty idea.

1 Like

Lol. Yes that is a button. Just slipped it up there to read the temp but I do have it programmed to trigger my network reset that sequences my cable modem, then wifi - both on zen06’s, then it sends a reboot to the HE.

Before this location I had the setup under a pine cabinet right in the middle of our house on the main floor. Soon after the install my wifi started go south after a day of operation and I realized I was hitting a temp issue.

My wife announced a few weeks ago that we are going to be rearranging some things including moving the cabinet to the basement so I had to find a new location. But the fans work great to keep the netgear R8500 cool.

4 Likes

Looks good. I did a similar setup with rope lighting a few years ago in my gun safe. I used a motion sensor wall switch on the back wall tied into a plug that runs out through the back of the safe and plugs into the wall. When you open the door to the safe the motion sensor kicks the light on and turns the light off after a few minutes when the door is closed.

2 Likes

Inspired.

Only did a quick "mock up" to get WAF. With a YEAH I'll order longer strips, and do more closets.

(pic don't show well, it is darker then it looks "before")

@nkyspike Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

@TechMedX

Looking great so far!

Also if you are looking for extra 12v power supplies for the extra stripes you cut to fit, I did see this listed on Amazon. You will still need to add some type of end connector or just cut the wire and solder it directly to the led strip.

12V DC Power Supply 2A 24W Adaptor, SANSUN 12 Volt Power Supply for LED Strip Lights, AC120V to DC12V Transformers (Pack of 5).....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDAIAGU/?coliid=I3M65GLI62FIHY&colid=2EQUX5X2UH10G&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I ran LED tape lighting in many of my closets a few years ago as well as under cabinets in laundry room and my utility room in garage. Instead of using a HA motion in the closets, I went with this “dumb” motion sensor which has worked very well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTCTV8G

Picture:

In my upstairs linen closet I mounted it on the ceiling so lights turn on as soon as you put your hand in the closet, plus power was coming from above in attic. In my master bath closet I have the transformer in the crawl and same motion near the floor on a wall.

Only other suggestion because I have OCD on certain things is they make angle connectors to make it easy to get around door trim. Like these but make sure you get the right size because I have both 10mm and 8mm strips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7HFWI/

I've been using quite a few of these lately for outside lighting, closets, kitchen cabinets and countertop lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1PB80I/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_lawGEbVKG5G8C

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV7LGTK/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_fcwGEb1KGCAA9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK5FC64/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_2cwGEb33CSTBR

Unfortunately, the price of the 16' have gone up from $16 to $24.

I would not trust these based on those reviews. Wow that is a lot of failures.

Looks like they've all gone up in price now. Too bad. I was thinking about maybe grabbing another one of the controllers on the cheap. They're still not bad but now they're more than lunch money.