Fibaro FGMS-001 possible false triggers

Hi, I recently moved from Vera Edge to HE. A very positive experience so far! I have some 20 Z-wave and 5 zigbee devices. I use the HSM with Fibaro Motion Sensors and some contact sensors. With Vera, I had some issues with random false triggers from the Fibaro Motion Sensors. Today, I had my first false trigger with my HE/Fibaro setup, which was a loud and bad experience. The new network is built up from scratch with removal from Vera and device reset before adding it to HE. Is the Fibaro's not to be trusted or is it just bad configuration? See my Fibaro parameter settings below. I am using the standard HE driver "Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5". Platform Version 2.0.9.133, Hardware Version Rev C-4.

State Variables

• configVal1 : 24
  • configVal24 : 2
  • configVal2 : 15
  • configVal89 : 1
  • configVal6 : 30
  • configVal8 : 0
  • configVal9 : 200
  • refreshAll : false
  • axisZ : 3
  • axisY : -9
  • axisX : -2
  • wakeUpInterval : 43200
  • pendingRefresh : false
  • configVal80 : 13
  • configVal40 : 200
  • configVal62 : 900
  • configVal83 : 1000
  • configVal60 : 10
  • configVal82 : 100
  • configVal81 : 50
  • configVal22 : 15
  • configVal66 : 0
  • configVal87 : 28
  • configVal20 : 20
  • configVal42 : 900
  • configVal64 : 3600
  • configVal86 : 18

The default Motion Sensitivity setting is 2 which is really sensitive so if you select a higher number it will reduce the sensitivity and reduce false alarms.

That will most likely solve the problem, but if it doesn't, you might need to move the sensor because false motion events can also happen if the sensor is pointed at a radiator, vent, AC, window, etc.

Well it looks to me that 2 in the HE UI translates to 24 for param 1 (configVal1) = 24 which is higher (less sensitive) than the default Fibaro setting of 15. The battery was down at 51% when the false positive occurred. I had it drained due to a bad illuminance report setting (too often). Maybe that could be part of it. I have changed the battery now and will arm the system without sirens for a while.

I just had another false trigger while looking at the dashboard. So it is NOT the battery. Inserting a snapshot of the device history from the dashboard UI, the false trigger is at 5/21/2019 10:12

The range is 8-255 and yours is set to 24 which is really sensitive. Making the sensor less sensitive is how you're going to fix false motion events...

Make sure you wake the sensor up after making setting changes.

Ok thanks. But I have three devices of this type, they have identical settings and only one give false triggers. I will try to relocate the problematic one first. If it doesn't help I will start decreasing the sensitivity.

Feedback: I've been running the Fibaro sensor in question a couple of weeks now at sensitivity 4 (instead of the default value of 2) and so for I have had zero false triggers. In total I have three units of which two are still at sensitivity = 2. I might set them all to 4, just to have some margin to false triggers. Sensitivity at 4 is not great but at least ok.

Thanks krlaframboise

1 Like

I had no false triggers at sensitivity 4 but after a while a realized that almost none of my motion lighting rules are working due to the lack of sensitivity. So I changed back to 2, motion lighting is working again. But, the false triggers are back. So my security system is out of order. To analyze, I muted all sirens and armed. Having the system running for a full day makes it clear that one of the motion sensors is generating a "motion active" command EXACTLY once per hour. I know that one of the reporting interval parameters is set to 3600 seconds, that might be related to the false triggers.

So this definitely looks like a firmware/hardware issue to me. I also recall having read something similar to this on some other HA forum that discussed false triggers with Fibaro.

I will replace this piece of faulty hardware with something else. Question is with what? Aeon maybe. The Zigbee Xiamo Aqara Motion Sensor also looks interesting but I don't know if its reliable and stable enough for security.