Fibaro Dimmer 2 switches stopped updating status

My two Fibaro Dimmer 2 switches were working fine for 6 months (or maybe more) until what appears to be about 10 days ago. They are the only zwave devices I have as everything else is zigbee or wifi/http.

They respond to physical pushes, they respond to google home commands, they respond to the dimmer slider on the dashboard. However the status of the tile nor the status in the device page updates and always remain off.

WHat could the problem be? Why would it suddenly be a problem after so long? Both switches appear to have played up around the same time. Using the inbuilt Fibaro Dimmer driver, although I do have the "Fibaro Dimmer 2" driver installed, just I chose ot use the inbuilt ones.

I have tried a zwave repair and this made no difference. I am reluctant to do an exclusion and re-add them again as it will cause problems with my rules and google assistant links yes?

Have you tried clicking configure in the device page to ensure its programmed correctly? Also if they are your only z-wave device how far from the hub are they?
Did you update to the latest firmware recently ie the 10 days ago?.

Also yes and it shouldn't be needed.

Yes I tried that. Multiple times.

I guess 15m Max. They always respond to commands, just the status update isn't working so assume thus means reception is ok?

Not that I'm aware of. How do you update firmware on these in hubitat? Or could they have auto updated or something. As as hubitat updating or the drivers updating, I'm not sure.

I have tried changing to the Fibaro Dimmer 2 driver and they don't respond at all. So I put the driver back to the inbuilt ones and they respond again, but still no updates.

Unfortunately not it's usually state that is the issue on weak signal.

I mean the hubitat firmware update 2.1.7 to be specific (there were some platform changes that could have caused it). Yes during these updates the drivers may get fixed or accidentally broken by something else.

You have to manually tell the hub it update when the little box pops up.

Which Fibaro dimmer 2 driver? Is it a user one and where did you get it?

Hmm this is quite possible. Im addicted to updates so likely did this on autopilot.

I haven't seen any other reports but I guess this is still possible.

Ah ok, this is good to know for future. As both switches went at the same time I also doubt it would be this huh?

I can't remember what user driver it was and problem is I updated it to see if that would fix it. I'll look into this.

Interesting. I had something similar happen to me where one of my z-wave devices stopped reporting (a Fibaro UBS). It stopped reporting on the 17th of December. In my case I could simply pull the power to reset it and it worked again. However it is strange that it just stopped working.

i'm assuming your using my driver if you are pull the latest update as i made some changes for that update which caused it to go wonky. I have also sent one to mike to make a official driver so hopefully he will get it soon and there will be a built in one coming in the new year.

1 Like

I'm using the custom one but eric because i need the scenes and mine is ok at the moment.

Thanks for the information. I have updated the driver. I was still running the intial version (I think, it did not have any entries for updates).

I do however not think that the driver was at fault here, but rather the device, but no way to know.

I wonder also if there is some app available that will alert if a device has not reported any changes for a set amount of time (hours/days). Do you know of anything like that ?

not sure but i would start by searching device watchdog, that might do it.

1 Like

I have the same problem with my Fibaro devices with built in drivers since 2.1.7 and downgrading to 2.1.6 solved the problem.

There are other users who have reported the same issues where a downgrade solved it as well.

The problem is not related to a weak mesh or that the devices need a manual polling. Actually a manual polling/refresh does not update the states at all even though it is possible to control on/off or level for a Fibaro Dimmer 2.

Of course ! I have installed it in the past but didn´t do much with it. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

@mike.maxwell looks like the parse change also affected the built in fibaro dimmer 2 driver in 2.1.7

My issue happened on 2.1.6, so that again may point towards the device itself being "frozen". Anyway, I just updated to 2.1.7 so I guess I will see what my device does on that version (and I didn´t check this before updating :slight_smile:)

Oh ok that's good to know that's all that was required.

I might wait for a new release in the new year.. Assuming it'll be early in the new year. Hmm

OK so it seems changing to Robin Winbourne driver "Fubaro DImmer 2. Robins" has fixed my problem.

The one Eric created never worked for me. I am in Australia so maybe thats for the US dimmer seeing it has that in the description.

I'm in the UK, it works perfect, also make sure you have the latest release think I was the last person to make some changes :thinking:. Just make sure you set it up correctly then click configure.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread as I am not using the dimmer, but it seems that my UBS is not reporting in as well as it did before. I updated to the latest version of the driver yesterday and I am now running the one updated by you on 28/11/2019.

If I look at the parent device, the temperature readings there seem to be correct, but the temperature readings on each of the child devices are stale and they have not updated. Due to this they do not turn on or off the heater as expected.

As mentioned by me above, it seems that no readings came in from the 17th until the 27th when I unplugged and replugged the device, believing it may have been an issue with the device itself. This then worked and reported on the old driver. Based on recommendations here I updated the driver to the newest version.

I then updated Hubitat to 2.1.7.127 and things were looking fine yesterday, but then at some point the temps were not reported correctly anymore and the newest data was stale from the child devices.

I see temperature readings coming into the parent device, but not into the child devices.

Here is a screenshot of the full device with the latest activity dates since yesterday, but the parent device clearly shows that the child devices are reporting.

Is there a bug in the driver or should I also re-create the 4 child devices (not a fan of this as they are using in RM).

It depends on how old the previous driver you had was. A few versions back maybe 4 or 5 updates ago, I had to make a breaking change to fix a few things. If this is the case unfortunately you will need to remove your old child devices and re create them :worried: sorry.

BTW Good to know that 4 temperature probs works, I was never able to test :+1::grinning:

You also need to click save preferences so that the state gets updated.

I have been using the very first one which you published in December 2018 :slight_smile:

Continuing on my journey to figure out the issue, I redownloaded the original driver, set it up as a test device and applied it back to the UBS. My child devices are now reporting again.

In the screenshot from the old to the new I see the difference and I guess I just have to bite the bullet and re-create the devices.

The main thing I am wondering right now is why it stopped in the first place on the 17th. It was a Tuesday and I had not updated the Hubitat the weekend before. That is the reason why I thought initially it may have been the powersupply to the UBS and a recycle helped. It still may be that issue.. Don´t you just love troubleshooting ? :thinking: