Feature request

Something interesting was mentioned to me and I think it could be an easily implemented feature. The ability for RM to export and import rules. This would allow us to share rules with others and the only thing that would need edited are the devices to match our own. It would be an excellent way to get the newbie started and understand how rules are broken down as well as for really complicated automations. So for instance if someone needed a rule to delay a fan coming on after entering a room coupled with a motion sensor, I could cut and paste my rule to a reply, they could then cut and paste my rule to their he and then change the hardware in the rule to match and wala. Any interest in the team doing this?

This has been requested before, and IIRC, it’s not something that’s “easily implemented.” So I while I agree it could be very useful, we may not see this anytime soon.

2 Likes

Not sure if it would be that hard. I mean look at how easy adding drivers or apps are... though that’s supposing that the rules are kept in clear text...

No offense intended, but you probably don’t know what you’re talking about. Full disclosure, neither do I :slight_smile:. But take a look at this thread to get an understanding of what the developer of RM has had to say about this in the past:

1 Like

No offense taken. I certainly don’t know the code involved in rm at all so don’t know how well it would do. The question was brought because someone mentioned you can do it in web core. My thought process was it should be just as easy in rm. I guess I was wrong :rofl: I’d still like to see it though

3 Likes

In webCoRE all your pistons are created/edited/deleted on the webCoRE server and are then saved on your HE hub to run. (You can set up your own local server on an RPi for example).
There is also a copy held on the server where it has the unique code of the piston.
If someone gives you the code of the piston, you can download it.
(At least this is how it was when it first came out on ST).
On RM all rules are created and saved on your hub so unless you give someone access to your hub, there is no way to copy someones rules.

So we all should now be happy. Importing and exporting rules for sharing and backup are now implemented in .2.2.4! YAy!

3 Likes

Hi, is it possible to add the time, hours, minutes (seconds) in the naming of the backup when downloaded, when I download it and I do it again some hours later Windows adds the number (1) at the end. This is annoying when trying to sort them or to know when it was backed-up that day.

I agree and the hub name.
At the beginning preferably.

3 Likes

You asked. They listened. :grinning:
Release 2.2.5.127 has this in the release notes.

2 Likes