Feature Request: Thermostat App - "Off" Mode

Today, in the thermostat app, the only way to set a thermostat to off is to restrict the app from running. For a window / mini-split, there's plenty of use cases where I'd just want the unit "off" until the next scheduled period, but forcing me to restrict the app means I have to jump through all sorts of hoops to make that happen.

Quite simply, being able to set Mode to Off here (which is technically possible) would be hugely helpful.

Which thermostat app? Your screenshot doesn't look like either of the two built-in thermostat apps (Thermostat Scheduler and Thermostat Controller).

That is Thermostat Scheduler - more complete screen shot

1 Like

Thank you! Which thermostat driver is being used by the thermostat? Does the driver support "Off" as a command?

Meaning, if you go to the device page for the thermostat, is "Off" available as a button to click on?

I was going to say I'm pretty sure the thermostat scheduler just shows the modes that the driver for the thermostat says it supports and to check the thermostat device's supported modes, but mine says it supports an off mode and when I try to setup a thermostat scheduler instance, it doesn't show off in the list of modes to choose from, so you may be correct. Might still want to check the device though to make sure it's a mode exposed by the driver.

3rd party driver - "Midea AC Local Controller"

It definitely supports "Off" - and when the Thermostat Scheduler goes into Restricted mode, it sends the Off command and it does exactly what you'd expect. You can also go into the device itself and click Off and it works.

So here's what I notice, both in your screenshot, my device (which is also a custom driver), and a virtual thermostat. I can choose "off" from the dropdown of set thermostat mode... but look at the current states. "Off" does not show as a supportedThermostatMode. I think this may be the problem. TS only looks at this list as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I am not in a position to test at the moment. You could try doing this to manually change your supported modes and see if off then shows in the scheduler.

@dave9

@waterboysh has nailed it. Off doesn’t show up as a supported mode in the driver you’re using. Should be fixable by editing the driver.

Apparently it is supported in the virtual thermostat driver. I manually created this one.

The virtual thermostat driver I checked the first time was one created using the Thermostat Controller app, so I think that messed with the results.

So try manually adding it as a supported mode, and then ask the driver creator to update the driver.

hmm, I'm not following - I see it in the driver, I think?

Are you sure you're on the latest version? I see this in the changelog so just want to make sure

0.9.4 - jcox10 - Bugfixes for "off" thermostat mode.

yep, on 0.9.5

I have not done any coding for Hubitat, but I've done coding before and I am looking at all the code in that driver and the only possible thing I see is this starting on line 592, which does not define the off state.

I have no idea what this actually impacts though. But that's the only guess I have.

Yeah, I tried adding a case there with no luck. I'll try pinging the developer on GH, I guess

Did you try switching to the virtual driver and manually changing the supported modes? If you do that and it still doesn't work then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Hi @tomw - any insights into why off is not selectable as a Thermostat Mode with the Midea driver?

Try hitting 'configure' on the device page, which should cause those attributes to update.

Will you please post in my main thread on this forum with any other issues or questions? Midea Mini Split Wifi Support - #11 by tomw

2 Likes

The configure fixed it, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.