Feature Request - RM Broken action indicator

I had an issue with my system this weekend, nothing really to do with HE it was a ST/Hubconnect thing.

In the process of correcting, a couple of devices got removed and I had to set them backup. After which I thought I had corrected all my rules but I missed a couple. Would it be possible to add a remark beside a rule, like when it says paused or repeating, that says broken action?

10 Likes

+100

I would also like to revive this request.
After moving around devices, I'm constantly getting the following:

Is there a way to see what was broken?
That is, to see what was there in the past?

That is displayed because something that should have been there is not there. RM can tell something is missing, but not what it is. When there is a device in an app setting, and that device is removed, the setting changes from referencing the device to null. I hope that explains the problem. It's not as though the setting says "Bathroom light" after Bathroom light is removed.

Had one of my rules show a broken action. No idea why this happened. I had a line in the rule to set a variable (inside the specific rule) to the current outside temperature as reported by "Open Weather Custom Driver". Nothing changed with the driver and it continued to report temperature on dashboards correctly. Would be nice if there was a feature that allowed me to see RM rules with broken actions similar to how you see predicates true or false. Would be even nicer if I could set up a notification when any rule has a broken action.

Rules become broken when a device is removed. They have no way to know that this has happened until the UI discovers it when the rule is opened, and it attempts to display it. So, there can't possibly be a notification as the rule has no idea this has happened. And, no, there will not be a display in the rule name for the same reason. You discover it at the same moment the rule 'discovers' it.

Is any way to identify these broken actions?
Is any way to read a rule from another rule so that I can create a notification?
My Chromecast integration stopped working. Now I need to go through all my integrations to fix that problem (need to remove and add the app to make the devices work again).
Also, another problem is that I have to think in all of them what that line does instead of editing the removed device. Since the only info I have is Broken Action will be great to see the action that was before (replacing the device for "unknown device").

Or maybe?
Is it possible to access the rules in text mode to edit them?

The answer to all of these is No.

The solution to this problem is to not remove a device, irrespective of the reason, until all of the references to it in apps have been changed, even if to a placeholder virtual device. Once the device has been removed, all information about it is gone also.

This topic has been beat to death, and is officially over