[Feature Request] Migration tools to combine multiple hubs

Knowing that a C-8 version is on the horizon, I would like to request migration tools to help consolidate multiple hubs into one. I started with the C-3 in February 2018 and found it couldn't handle my large setup so I deployed multiple hubs. Since my network closet is in the center of my 4k 2 story house, I setup a hub per protocol (Zwave, Zigbee, and LAN) plus a 4th "Coordinator" hub that all (really most) devices are meshed to. I still have this setup today with 3 C7s and 1 C5 along with external antennas setup on the Zwave and Zigbee hubs. I have 282 devices on my coordinator hub but will admit it doesn't have every device on the "protocol" hubs.

With plans to purchase a C-8, I would love to consolidate to 2 hubs where the C-8 is the workhorse and I will have chatty LAN interfaces on a separate C-7 hub. But my struggle will be consolidating my separate Zwave and Zigbee hubs into 1 especially since the Zigbee radio isn't included in the cloud backup. Open to thoughts here and knowing that I can migrate my Zwave backup plus radio database to a new hub, I could start with that database restore on the C-8 but my large Zigbee deployment will be a huge pain to add to this hub.

Zigbee devices will "fall into place" if a device record in the database matches its Zigbee network ID. It would be awesome of we could export/migrate device records from one hub to another to save time. Wishful thought would be to export my Zigbee device list from my Zigbee hub and import into the C-8 and then reset the Zigbee devices and pair to the C-8. Name, room, preferences, etc would all be there from the export. I could also do the same with rules setup on my Zigbee hub too and match with the new devices on the C-8.

@gopher.ny knowing what you work on, this seems to fall into your domain. Open to any thoughts and feedback on this feature request. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

3 Likes

@bravenel @gopher.ny congratulations on the C-8 release. Just wanted to bring this feature request back into the spotlight to see if this would be possible. Know there are many long term customers with multiple hubs that could benefit from something like this. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, but this is not possible. The entire backup/restore, and migration process, depends on the singlular database of a hub. We don't have the means to merge databases, and deal with the relationships between devices, the device ids, and database entries. Such a feature is not planned, nor likely to be.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.