Feature Request:Export rule from the rule screen

I think it would be a nice feature to export a rule when on the main define a rule screen.

Where you have the buttons to run actions or update rule, also have export rule.

It is a good idea to get a copy of a rule before you edit it, and I have many times been in a rule and decided I need to change something. Before I do I have to exit the rule navigate to the export feature, export the rule, and then navigate back to start making changes. A quick export on the rule screen would save a lot of time, and try to keep you from being lazy and not saving a copy before you start editing.

That's not me of coarse, I'm asking for a friend. :smirk:

4 Likes

Agree. I'm fairly new to the rule machine so I'm frequently going in to edit rules as I see more tips and methods in this great community forum. I often find myself screwing things up trying to "fix" a rule I wrote. An export/backup button on the rule screen would be a handy feature for rollbacks.

Actually, it's not me, but a friend I'm writing for too.

I think you can already do this, not while writing the rule, as it hasn't been saved yet, so no copy.
Just hit rule machine and copy is there, unless I'm misunderstanding the request?

You are misunderstanding. I would like to export a copy of my rule while on the opening page of the rule.

Don’t want to have to exit the rule and navigate to the main rule machine page to export or clone. Now that we have the ability to export a single rule, it seems it could be done.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Ah, okay I get it. My 2cents is before they expend energy on anything, they need to get z-wave at 100%. Depending on the day & the moon I might be able to pair a device or it might create a ghost, or I might have to reboot every dang time I pair something. To make sure it's the hub, I go and can easily pair to ST or my C4, anyway I digress.

I got a like today for this request, so I thought I would mention, and not exactly what I asked for, but the settings icon for any RM rule in 2.2.9 now has a button that will take you to the export/clone rule section, it doesn't work right now, but once fixed that will make it much easier to export the rule before you start.

Awesome idea!!

Actually, the cog icon on any app page will take you there also, so you can do it while working on the rule, Once the bug is fixed in the upcoming hot fix release.

1 Like

This works very well. I liked that when I clicked the import/export/rule button it was setup to clone the rule I was currently in. Nicely done.

1 Like