Feature request: device selection by template/attribute for bulk creation of dashboard tiles

I just created a dashboard showing the battery status of all my battery-powered home automation devices.

I began by allowing HE to pre-populate a new dashboard with all my devices, then removing those without batteries and then selecting the "Battery" template for the remainder.

As with most things with the HE GUI, this was tedious, repetitive, and error-prone. Unfortunately, the UI forces humans to do things that could easily be done by a computer.

I'm suggesting a feature addition to the dashboard when adding tiles, allowing a search by template (ie., "Battery") and the presenting a list of devices that report that class of information, allowing the user to select devices (including "all") for addition to the dashboard.

That’s already there in the tile builder wizard on creating a new dashboard.

1 Like

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I didn't realize that the feature I requested already exists.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Dashboard Builder page like that.

The sequence I'm following is:

Apps => Dashboard => Create a new dashboard => supply a name => Done

then
Dashboards => New dashboard

When I first go to the new dashboard, I see the screen below:

Also, I just searched for "wizard" in the Hubitat documentation -- no hits.

I'm not seeing a dashboard builder, I would like to. Is this a sneak peak of a future feature or something only presented when dashboard is loaded the first time?

OK, I found the "Dashboard Builder" page -- it's very helpful.

From an interface point of view, accessing the builder page is like finding an Easter egg, not an easily accessible function of the software. It's confusing that two of the layout choices (auto fill & manual) are in one location and are visually distinguished from the rest of the page, while the 3rd tile selection choice appears as if it is the name of the window, not a link to an active page.

Please change my feature request to:

On the "Getting Started" page for a new dashboard, add a link to the Dashboard Builder adjacent to the "Auto Fill Grid" and "Manually Add Tiles" buttons.

The builder page is accessible after clicking on the words "Dashboard builder" in the window title bar. A very non-intuitive interface.

1 Like

Agreed. I had no idea that was there. I just assumed it was a window title.

OMG, Hidden Gem for sure. So you need to make an empty dashboard. Go to it and click what looks like a heading. <correction, you still need to add the devices>

I'd like to make a feature request to make this option more obvious to us old folk who no longer have the energy, patience, and curiosity to click on every word on a web page. Cool option BTW 13/10 recommend for everyone.

@patrick Once again, I stumble by accident across another awesome feature that I never knew existed!?!
I read through the HE documentation as many times as I could when first purchasing the HE.
Wish this & other features were documented better via the HE documentation instead of relying on the web community support to answer our questions.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to have similar thoughts regarding this.
Anyway, that my opinion.
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth because if no-one says anything then how would you guys know, right?

I have about 8 dashboards, and I did not know this existed. I thought the only 2 options were at the bottom of the page. Good to know, now that I have already made all my dashboards.

1 Like

Doesn't work for me, I don't get a Tile Builder tab

Create a new dashboard and the top right of the pop-up window will say Dashboard Builder.

Yes I saw and clicked that but I didn't get the Tile Builder tab