FE599 Saga

Thank you for the detailed response..

I am running the same version as you on the c7.

I can exclude and include the device and it removed it from the zwave area. I never see the device in the devices area.
I have had the lock literally sitting on the HE when pairing with the same results. I can run repairs on it which complete successfully as well. However, nothing changes.
My deadbolt schlage connect paired just fine using S2.

I have done multiple pairings with this which is probably why the IDs are weird.

When pairing the FE599 using 6 digit code then 0, i get green lights,, but just stays at initializing ! I have no way to associate the lock as a fe599 from a drop down anywhere or associate it as a "lock".
Not sure where to go from here. It should just work in my opinion.

I keep including/excluding with the same result. (Definition of insanity...maybe).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to get a bad taste about hubitat after a promising start. :roll_eyes:

Screenshot_20201211-124247_Chrome|341x500

When you get the “initializing” message, if you let things sit (for more than a minute), does it ever go away? Some devices take awhile.

It does sound like you are doing all the right things.

Try one more thing:

Make and download a backup (Settings, Backup and Restore). The process of making a backup cleans up the database in the backup, removes problems.

Do a Soft Reset (NOT FULL RESET) from the Diagnostic Tools menu:

http://Your_Hub_IP:8081

You will need to login using your hub’s MAC address. Easiest way is, before you go to Diagnostic Tools, go to Settings, Hub Details, copy the MAC addresses, which will be in the format needed.

Do the Soft Reset (NOT FULL RESET), then restore the backup you just made. The process is described here:

Soft Reset

Then, go through the Remove (exclude), factory reset FE599, and include.

Let’s see how that goes.

Same issue.

Backup
Soft reset
Restore

Exlude lock
Include

Device sits at initializing and goes no further.
Zwave config shows identical screen with just a different ID. Now its 0F.

1 Like

That’s to be expected. Z-Wave doesn’t re-use node ID numbers until it has rolled around from max.

Because you have had success with your deadbolt Schlage Connect with S2, that device is a Z-Wave Plus device. You haven’t mentioned the model, perhaps it is a BE469ZP like my two locks.

Perhaps someone else who has this lock could chime in- I don’t have any trouble, but my locks are BE469ZP, not FE599/BE369.

You may be aware that the Schlage locks were removed from the List of Compatible Devices a while back because of problems with Schlage locks, but the drivers are still included as built-in drivers with each release.

Because you are able to get your Schlage Connect lock to work with the BE468/BE469 driver, there may be some difference in the FE599/BE369 built-in driver that is causing your problem.

Tagging @bobbyD and @mike.maxwell to see if they could take a look at the FE599 driver to confirm that it has been tested to do S0 inclusion on a C-7.

Appreciate the additional help and resources.

What is odd is that I threw in one of of those kwikset zwave plus models in a kwikset deadbolt and HE sees it as an Schlage FE599.

Is this looking like an HE driver issue with the actual FE599 lever lock? The screenshot shows a kwikset deadbolt with the zwave plus module. Ironically, it paired right away.

My non-professional opinion is that drivers don't matter until after things are paired. For example, many things pair without a driver using "Device" if there is no driver match. Things can pair with an incorrect driver at times.

If you cannot even pair, that is a problem within itself. In other words, I don't think you are even getting to the driver selection process.

May be relevant?

Sounds like it is timing out on the security negotiation. Driver shouldn't matter until after it pairs (BTW - the Kwikset needs to be changed to the Generic Zwave Lock after pairing for it to work correctly.)

Looks like the FE599 might be a Z-Wave (not plus), should still pair, but it appears that Schlage Zwaves may have had issues with HE in the past judging from some of threads.

2 Likes

I've reviewed every thread on this without resolution.

Its regular zwave not plus from what I am seeing.

FE599... gone from my life, but not forgotten. This lock tortured me for over a year before I replaced it with a Yale. You won’t want to hear this, but I strongly suggest against using this lock on HE. Even if you get it working, it will flake on you again and again. I’m still bitter about all the wasted hours I spent on that hateful lock.

1 Like

@liquidskin thats what I am thinking.

I'm sending back to Amazon and getting a zigbee yale.

Thoughts?

1 Like

You won't regret it. I used to have a Schlage BE469 and a Schlage FE599. While they mostly worked, they picked inopportune moments to not work.

I replaced them with a Yale zigbee keyless deadbolt and a Yale zigbee keyless lever lock about a year ago, with zero regrets. Both Yale zigbee locks have been flawless.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

For the record. Anyone fighting FE599 lever locks.
Record this thread.

I'll replace with Yale zigbee. Consider no updates a good sign.

5 Likes

100% yes! If you have the option of return it’s a no brainer. I’ve had excellent luck so far with my Yale YRL236 zwave plus lever lock. I know folks also do well with the Zigbees

I think Schlage, especially non Zwave Plus, have issues. My Be469 were great for a long time, until they weren't. Now they chew batteries weekly, they don't report battery accurately, they are just not great on the Zwave side of things.

It isn't just Hubitat either. Lots of reports of troubles with them all over the internet. It isn't helped by the fact Schlage doesn't have or won't allow firmware updates which very likely would fix these problems.

And they don't sell Zwave Plus or Zigbee upgrade modules either, which is sort of dumb because I won't buy a new lock from them where I would buy an upgrade to keep my old locks.

I really really like the Schlage hardware-wise. But their Zwave implementation is just awful.

Install a repeater as close to the lock as you can, then one next to the HE. Do a z-wave repair and the lock will not only be more reliable, it should stop chewing batteries.

Just a last question, what firmware revision is on the lock and what's the manufacture date?

They didn't start acting up until 2.2.3 or somewhere thereabouts. All 3 locks worked perfect for way over a year on Hubitat before that. I even paired them in place, which many people find to be impossible to do.

And I have over 10 Zwave repeaters, both close to and far away from the hub. I don't think more will help. No other Zwave device drops off or has problems, other than these stupid locks.

These locks were on Wink before they were on Hubitat, and they didn't always work the best there, Hubitat was an improvement over Wink.

I really like the Schlage stuff as far as appearance and build quality. Like I said, their Zwave implementation just plain sucks. And there is no way to fix it unless you buy new locks. If I am buying new, I won't buy a Schlage which won't support updates, and does not sell parts that could fix their issues.

Was that question for me? Not sure as you didn't quote anyone or appear to reply to anyone specifically.

@neonturbo Yale will be here tomorrow.

I really like Schlages reliability of their locks, but this sealed the deal for me on further investment into the company.

I certainly hope a Schlage representative monitors this forum as I've reviewed countless threads with no definitive resolution outside of the Connect model which I have and works perfectly within HE.

I really appreciate EVERYONES help and assistance on the matter.

Please have a blessed and safe holiday season and drink a pint for me!

Until next time.

Liz

2 Likes

Elizabeth,

I suggest at this point that you contact Schlage support, which has always been very good. Tell them your problems with the FE599 and your success with the Schlage Connect. Schlage has a 3 year warranty on electronics, which is where your problems are. It’s possible that your lock is bad.

They will replace the FE599 with current firmware model or you might convince them to replace it with another Connect if you pay the difference.

I have and no response yet.

1 Like