Faulty Hubitat hub?

Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version

Just cc'ing @bcopeland as your z-wave table looks to have a ghost. (Last device in the list).
The only sensor that has any routing is your first one.
Did you try including and nothing happened and you just kept trying?

1 Like

Keep try including Z-Wave devices and they don't get picked up, I've tried multiple types (all excluded correctly). I reached out to some of my Hubitat buds and they're not experiencing this at all. If I put the hub next to the device it includes, but as soon as I move the hub away is can no longer communicate.

Zigbee seems fine though.

@adam10

You definitely have a ghost which will cause pairing (as well as working) issues. You need to remove the 0x0d one. This was caused by a failed pairing, probably by your downstairs hall light light. Disconnect power to that switch, shut down your hub from the settings menu. Un plug power at the wall (not the hub) Wait 5 mins and power back up. Go back to your z-wave settings page and click REFRESH until the remove button appears. Once it does, click remove. After it's removed, power back up the light switch and you should be good. Always check your z-wave settings on a failed pairing for ghosts and remove them.

2 Likes

Are you doing much with any z-wave devices yet?
Could you reset the radio without impacting any rules/apps etc. (Not the zigbee side of things).
If so, maybe reset the z-wave radio.
Exclude your z-wave devices
Then start again one at a time.
If something does not pair satisfactorily then go into your z-wave device list and make sure no ghosts have appeared.

This is up to you though.
Maybe wait for @bcopeland to respond (if he is about of course) as he is the z-wave guru.

EDIT: Try @rlithgow1 's excellent advice first.

1 Like

I removed the ghost device. Put the device back into inclusion mode and tried to pair a switch and ghost device re-appeared

You only needed to remove the ghost device, it was already included before (the kitchen light) At this point you need to remove that one too now. Factory Reset and repair the device.

1 Like

Just from what I can see on that list, you only have one line powered device. Line powered devices are the repeaters for the mesh and help to build a healthy, solid mesh. You started with a sensor and a door lock which aren't repeaters.

You typically should start with pairing the repeating devices first, and do the ones closest to the hub. That gives the next round of further away devices something to pair with/to. After all those are done, then move on to battery powered devices.

Some great advice from support below:

1 Like

@neonturbo agree, that's been my strategy but devices need t literally be within a meter to function

Can we see the first five z-wave devices you paired? Because your list starts at 0x0A (10), and I believe 1-5 are reserved for the hub. So that still leaves 0x06-0x09. What kind of devices are those? And are they paired correctly?

1 Like

@adam10

At this point I would reset z-wave and factory reset your devices. Then start pairing again with your mains powered devices first and then your battery ones. If you have a failed pairing, stop and remove the ghost, run exclude on the device and pair again. Also pair battery devices in place, not next to hub AFTER your mains powered stuff is paired.

This is a healthy mesh. Notice even my battery items have routes... (I have more but too lazy to post the whole page)

3 Likes

Thanks @rlithgow1 that's my plan for tomorrow - wish me luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good deal. As you go along, don't be frustrated. Reach out...

1 Like

OK, I excluded everything and performed a Z-Wave reset. Then restarted the hub. Still nothing will pair unless it's right next to the device. :frowning:

So nothing in your z-wave details page right? Then when you start the inclusion process on both the mains powered device and the hub it does nothing unless you're 3 feet away? Strange indeed. The only time that should happen is with locks.

1 Like

It's very odd, Hubitat have shipped a replacement. I'll circle back and see if this solves my problem fingers crossed

3 Likes

Please, let us know. This is very strange.

Hey all, just to let you know @bobbyD sent out a replacement hub and I've now been able to pair Z-Wave devices.

7 Likes

Cool... just remember, on any failed pairing stop and check for and remove any ghosts created before continuing. Keep us abreast of things!

1 Like