Fast updating temperature sensor?

I'm looking for a temperature sensor that reports changes in temperature very quickly so I can use it to control two z wave switches for managing the temperature in a room.

1 Like

I have an aeotec multi 6 plugged into power, so i have it reporting every 60 seconds.

3 Likes

powered or battery, zwave or zigbee?

Powered Zwave Aeotec 6 in 1

unpowered zwave or zigbee, most motion or contact sensors and create a rule that refreshes often. Will eat battery.

1 Like

the aeotec multi 6 will also repeat if plugged in to power.

2 Likes

By what means do you intend to adjust the temperature in your room, and how frequently do you want your reporting?

Regardless of the method of heating or cooling a room, there will be a lag between initiation of the activity and the room reaching a normalized temperature. You usually want a buffer period to lag so that the call for activity isn't quickly switched on and off and potentially damaging your equipment.

I want a reliable/accurate temperature sensor, but specifically would prefer a Zigbee that can also act as a good repeater that is natively supported by Hubitat. Anything exist alone those lines?

If I may ask, how did you get it to update? The temp on mine won't update unless I click refresh.

AFAIK, this is the only repeater/sensor in existence:

3 Likes

A couple of options there, some of the user developed device drivers allow you to set this as well as how big of a delta before reporting. The Zwave parameter tool might be able to do it.

1 Like

Thank you. So it looks like the Aeotec Multisensor 6 using USB for power is the best option currently. I'll just buy something else to use for Zigbee repeaters separately.

1 Like

Take a look at the Ikea Signal Repeaters. Good, strong little repeaters that are cheap and don't need to use a plug if you don't want them to as they plug into USB ports. I have 2 of them with plans to get a few more soon.

I've had my eye on the TRÅDFRI Signal repeaters for a few days based on your review elsewhere in the community. Although it's way overkill for my home, I just went ahead and ordered 5 of them after ordering one of the Aeotec Multisensor 6 to try.

1 Like

My house is a 1150 sq ft rectangle. Trust me, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to strong mesh! :slight_smile:

Less than a 900 square foot home with 4 rooms here. One of those is nothing more than a storage room at this point, yet it's getting a repeater along with the bathroom. The only repeater currently in the house is a Smartthings Outlet that's in the opposite corner of the house from the Hubitat hub. Given the low number of Zigbee devices in use at this time, most are connected directly to the hub. But 4 more Zigbee devices arrived today that will be added soon.

One of the reasons I wanted more repeaters is that there is 2 neighbors that have pretty strong wifi signals here and the local high school that steps on my 2.4GHz signal constantly. I also commonly see additional access points from cars in the school parking lot. I figure that a stronger mesh could only help reliability given the amount of noise Zigbee will have to contend with here.

Hmmm ... I will check it when i get home. It was an option in the device, but I can't remember right off hand how it read.

Set schedule to automatically refresh every x minutes?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.