Fans (not lighting)

i feel fans always fall into the lighting category.

I have a fan that just has 2 wires. power to the switch then a single wire to the fan. No neutral in the box.

Right now i have a zen71/72/76 at my house and a few Luntron Diva Dimmers.

What is the best to use with this? is it the diva dimmers?

I understand you should NOT use a dimmer for fans.
I have not used these, but I have seen them. They report not requiring a "neutral wire". I have several Zoos switches and dimmers, as I recall, they do require a neutral wire. Here is another Just found. Both of these are on Amazon. The MoesGo is WiFi, this second one is Zigbee.

While I cannot vouch for either, it does appear to be an option.
(just because it says "Light switch" doesn't mean you can't use it for a fan *** provided the switch has sufficient load rating for the motor***) I'm not an electrician.
Thank you ogiewon for this important point.

Dimmers cannot be used to control inductive motor loads, like ceiling fans. One must use either a purpose built fan controller, like the Lutron Caseta Fan Controller, or a true smart switch (non-dimmer) that is rated for electrical motor loads.

Unfortunately, most of these require a neutral wire.

If your fan does have a wireless remote control, you may want to consider using a Bond hub to control it.

2 Likes

Great suggestion...

1 Like

Actually, one should never use a switch or dimmer for a fan (inductive motor load) unless the device specifically states it is compatible with a motor load. :wink:

5 Likes

More great points... Thank you.

1 Like

i think i wsa assuming since the zen71 works with a fan then the lutrons would also. thanks everyone glad i asked. ill look at some of the suggestions

1 Like

I have good success with Zoos products. I have not used Lutrons, but many here are fans (ha, get it!) (quit accidental I assure you). By that, I mean have great success with Lutron products. It was a great recommendation to check the rating of the switch before installing. Safety first my friend. There may be others to offer more suggestions. Give your post a little time to take root.

1 Like

Inovelli will be coming out with a Zigbee fan switch soon. It is available for pre-order from their site or their Canadian reseller.

2 Likes

They really do seem to design things the way people would want to deploy and use them in their home (features, color, etc.). BUT...I'm not seeing UL Approval; I guess that is too much of a hassle/cost for a fast moving/small outfit like theirs? For a switch with variable speed (voltage) control for fan motor I'd think there would be a lot of customer comfort gained in having that labeling.

EDIT/CORRECTION: It seems they DO go for UL APPROVALS so nevermind !

They do go through an approval process - I think it is UL before going live. The Fan switch will go through the same certification process as the Blue 2-1 series.

1 Like

that blue series fan switch looks interesting. how often do they come out when they say they will

Holy crap. The inovelli blue fan switches are $75 US. Nothing like taking advantage.

Edit: well at least Aartech Canada has them for $100 CDN.

I am just used to home tech solution’s huge markup on zooz stuff.

Another option is to put a zigbee fan controller in the canopy and then use button controller of your choice.

They're not really available currently but I have a couple bond wifi units that go in the canopy, then I use button controller/rule machine with some pico remotes to control them.

I've been meaning to buy a spare soon as they become available again.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804#overlay

Another option may be the sonoff fan controller, but know you'll need to do some soldering to change the caps in them to get proper speeds with 110v fans.

1 Like

You can get them, scroll down till you see my instructions on getting them.

1 Like

Cool. Is that the same as the king of fans one that was available some time ago? I had one of those but had so many issues with it dropping off the network. That's when I switched to the hampton bay ones.

If these are good I might grab one just to have a spare.

It's hampton bay but fulfilled by king of fans. Just make sure you have a repeater nearby. I have had 0 issues with mine.

I thought about this. I have no easy way to get to the canopy. It’s an existing fan from when I moved in and it’s a vaulted ceiling.

1 Like

FYI I use Enbrighten Zigbee wall switches for fans and on/off lights in my home. My ceiling fans run well. Specs say the switch is good for up to 1/2 HP motor loads. More than enough for my needs.

A neutral wire is required.

2062 (byjasco.com)

1 Like