Fan Showing Up as Light In Google Home

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have the fan set up as a GE SmartFan Control

The HE integration doesn't support fans.
You would need to look at this to do it.

:point_up:

This is the correct answer. I do wish this was natively supported, but the community integration works great!

This should really be supported consider Google Home has support fans for over a year I believe at this point.... Considering GH is one of TWO voice assistants that HE supports, seems like some time should be spent toward this integration, but maybe it is not trivial to add support.

2 Likes

Especially since the code is already out there and reasonably well-tested at this point. I think that devices showing up as lights is pretty unexpected.

3 Likes

I agree with this. There's no reason my Google Home should show it as a light. This needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Has this been touched upon lately? I really think having to use the google home community app just so fans show as fans in google is silly. I had to do this so when I asked google to turn lights on or off, it would also turn the fan on and off because HE tells google it’s a light.

It would be nice if this was looked into. Perhaps device the device guru @mike.maxwell knows how to correct? I did play around with a fan driver and found the device capability’s seem to affect google interpretation of a fan as a light or a switch (remove light or capability from the driver). But, I think there’s more to it than that. Perhaps it’s platform level and not device level. I think @bravenel would be the brain to pick if it’s platform level? I could be wrong though.

1 Like

If you're using a Zooz Zen30 specifically, then check out @jtp10181's driver

He has a component device driver that lets the relay show as a fan in GH.

As far as I can tell it is based off the capabilities, and then the built in Google integration app decides on what type of device to tell Google it is based on that. It does not work very well, even worse for Alexa. If you check my child device driver for the ZEN30 (linked above) I have the capabilities sorted out so it will report as a "switch" to google and then you can manually change it to a Fan in the settings on the google home app. Basically I have just the "Switch" capability, along with some other things specific for that driver that should not effect how it gets sent to Google.

capability "Switch"
capability "Refresh"
capability "PushableButton"
capability "HoldableButton"
capability "ReleasableButton"

Is there any update on this? I recently added some smart fan control switches and they show up as lights in Google Home.

@user765 Using the "Community" app instead of the built-in one is still the solution.

There are more steps to set it up to work with your google account, but the instructions are reasonably clear if you just go through them step-by-step (shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so).

1 Like